- Not awake; having no awareness.
- She lay unconscious on the floor.
- Without directed thought or awareness.
- My sudden fright was an unconscious response.
- (sports) engaged in skilled performance without conscious control.
1998, Charles Rosen, The Cockroach Basketball League, page 144:
- Sam is unconscious, filling it, drilling it from every conceivable angle. Lem is awful and Cooper seems confused. Josh shoots too often.
- 1999, Joseph Leininger, Terry Whalin, Lessons from the Pit: A Successful Veteran of the Chicago Mercantile Exchange, page 10
- "I was unconscious," the basketball player gushes. "It seemed like everything I threw up toward the basket went straight in."
2002, Alexander Wolff, Big Game, Small World: A Basketball Adventure, page 292:
- Someone who has reeled off a string of baskets will say, "I was unconscious," as if he were following the Zen injunction to be mindful while suspending thought.
- (not awake; having no awareness): insentient, oblivious, out of it, out on one's feet, unaware
- (skilled performance without conscious control): in the zone, on a roll
without directed thought or awareness
unconscious (plural unconsciouses)