Jump to navigation Jump to search
- An ointment or salve.
- c. 1678 (date written; published 1682), J[ohn] Dryden, “Mac Flecknoe”, in Mac Flecknoe: A Poem. […] With Spencer’s Ghost: Being a Satyr Concerning Poetry. […], London: […] H[enry] Hills, […], published 1709, OCLC 5001242, page 6:
- The King himſelf the ſacred Unction made, / As King by Office, and as Prieſt by Trade: […]
- A religious or ceremonial anointing.
- A balm or something that soothes.
- A quality in language, address or delivery which expresses sober and fervent emotion.
- A smug, exaggerated use of language; smarminess.
- Divine or sanctifying grace.
ointment or salve
religious or ceremonial anointing
balm or something that soothes
unction (plural unctions)