Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
upshift (plural upshifts)
- (automotive) A shift to a higher gear
1999, Kurt Neuffer & Kurt Engelsdorf, “Transmission Control”, in Ronald K. Jurgen, editor, Automotive Electronics Handbook, page 323:
- For example, the vehicle starts off in second gear or an upshift takes place at lower engine speeds.
- (sciences, engineering) A shift to a higher level, such as of frequency or growth
- (automotive) To shift to a higher gear
- You can upshift to second gear once the car is moving.
- (sciences, engineering) To shift to a higher level, such as of frequency or growth rate
- The frequency of the light is upshifted.