Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈvɒli/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈvɑli/
Audio (AU) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɒli
volley (plural volleys)
- The simultaneous firing of a number of missiles or bullets; the projectiles so fired.
- A burst or emission of many things at once.
- a volley of words
- 1625 (first performance), Ben[jamin] Jonson, The Staple of Newes. […], London: […] I[ohn] B[eale] for Robert Allot […], published 1631, OCLC 81096167, (please specify the page), (please specify the scene number in lowercase Roman numerals):
- When we do speak at volley
- 1835, G[eorge] Croly, “Memoir of Pope”, in Alexander Pope, The Works of Alexander Pope; […], volume I, London: A[braham] J[ohn] Valpy, […], OCLC 2314158, page 56:
- A whole volley of furious criticism was poured on the author [Alexander Pope] by those enemies whom his contempt had created, and his honest pride had justly disdained to propitiate.
- (sports) The flight of a ball just before it bounces.
- (sports) A shot in which the ball is played before it hits the ground.
- 2011 October 1, John Sinnott, “Aston Villa 2–0 Wigan”, in BBC Sport:
- But there was nothing he could do about Villa's second when Agbonlahor crossed from the left and Bent finished with a precision volley.
- (cricket) A sending of the ball full to the top of the wicket.
- → Portuguese: vólei
burst or emission
flight of a ball before it bounces
shot in which the ball is played before it hits the ground
- (transitive) To fire a volley of shots
- (sports, transitive) To hit the ball before it touches the ground
- 2011 May 14, Peter Scrivener, “Sunderland 1–3 Wolverhampton”, in BBC Sport:
- Boudewijn Zenden hit the post from 25 yards for the home side before Jody Craddock volleyed Wolves ahead from 10 yards against his former club.
- (intransitive) To be fired in a volley
- (sports, intransitive) To make a volley
- To sound together
to hit the ball before it touches the ground
volley m (uncountable)
- “volley”, in Trésor de la langue française informatisé [Digitized Treasury of the French Language], 2012.
volley m (invariable)