Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (General American, Northern US) IPA(key): /ˌ(h)wɛrəˈpɑn/
- (General American, Southern and Midland US) IPA(key): /ˌ(h)wɛrəˈpɔn/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˌwɛərəˈpɒn/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɒn
- Hyphenation: where‧upon
- After which, in consequence.
- The network went down, whereupon I made a cup of tea
- 1887, Harriet W. Daly, Digging, Squatting, and Pioneering Life in the Northern Territory of South Australia, page 289:
- This was followed by his presenting his sable acquaintance with a fig of tobacco, whereupon, instead of thanking the donor in the usual way, the black signified his gratitude by throwing a spear at twenty or thirty yards' distance.
- Upon which.
- the wet cliff whereupon he stood
- 1835, John Nichols, The Gentleman's Magazine, volume 158, page 495:
- My tender wife and children standing by, / Dewing the death-bed whereupon I lie.
- 1846, John Clarke Crosthwaite, Alexander Watson, Practical sermons, by dignitaries and other clergymen, page 270:
- You see that the Apostle speaks as one who had distinct and certain knowledge of the grounds whereupon he was standing.
- 1880, “Cassell's family magazine”, in (Please provide the book title or journal name), page 262:
- Gradually, however, the white clouds resolved themselves into the snowy linen and coverlets of a bed whereupon he was lying, whilst the crimson light proved to be the effect of a blazing fire, […]
- 1889, “Frank Leslie's Popular Monthly”, in (Please provide the book title or journal name), volume 27, page 78:
- He sprung from his bed, whereupon one of them had fired. He pursued them as they retreated, and they fled out of the house by the back door. Thereupon he returned to the bed, saw that his wife had been shot, and roused the servants […]
- 1907, Francis Bazley Lee, Genealogical and personal memorial of Mercer County, New Jersey, volume 2, page 530:
- […] could take no rest except such as he obtained by supporting himself on his knees and elbows, being unable to suffer any part of his body to touch the bed whereupon he lay.
- 2018 February 10, Donald J. Trump, Twitter, archived from the original on 10 February 2018:
- The Democrats sent a very political and long response memo which they knew, because of sources and methods (and more), would have to be heavily redacted, whereupon they would blame the White House for lack of transparency. Told them to re-do and send back in proper form!
- (in consequence of which): whereat
in consequence of which
- (about): hereabout, thereabout, whereabout
- (abouts): hereabouts, thereabouts, whereabouts
- (after): hereafter, thereafter, whereafter
- (again): thereagain
- (against): thereagainst, whereagainst
- (among): thereamong, whereamong
- (amongst): whereamongst
- (around): therearound
- (as): thereas, whereas
- (at): hereat, thereat, whereat
- (before): herebefore, therebefore
- (beside): therebeside
- (between): therebetween, wherebetween
- (by): hereby, thereby, whereby
- (for): herefor, therefor, wherefor
- (fore): herefore, therefore, wherefore
- (from): herefrom, therefrom, wherefrom
- (hence): herehence, therehence
- (in): herein, therein, wherein
- (in after): hereinafter, thereinafter, whereinafter
- (in before): hereinbefore, thereinbefore, whereinbefore
- (into): hereinto, thereinto, whereinto
- (of): hereof, thereof, whereof
- (on): hereon, thereon, whereon
- (to): hereto, thereto, whereto
- (tofore): heretofore, theretofore, wheretofore
- (under): hereunder, thereunder, whereunder
- (unto): hereunto, thereunto, whereunto
- (upon): hereupon, thereupon, whereupon
- (with): herewith, therewith, wherewith
- (withal): herewithal, therewithal, wherewithal