Jump to navigation Jump to search
whirlwind (plural whirlwinds)
- A violent windstorm of limited extent, as the tornado, characterized by an inward spiral motion of the air with an upward current in the center; a vortex of air. It usually has a rapid progressive motion.
- (figuratively) A person or body of objects or events sweeping violently onward.
- The weeks leading up to the convention were a whirlwind of preparation and hurried activity.
- Once he got that new scooter he turned into a whirlwind and damaged all the flowers.
a violent windstorm of limited extent characterised by an inward spiral motion of the air
figuratively: a body of objects or events sweeping violently onward
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
whirlwind (not comparable)