- plural of
- (colloquial, with "the") A feeling of nervousness or fear.
- Staying in the haunted house gave me the willies.
- He knows a bad case of the willies will be our first response.
- Well, the only way I can describe it is just the willies. Like, somebody's watching me.
1974, Joseph Heller, Something happened, page 3:
- I get the willies when I see closed doors. Even at work, where I am doing so well now, the sight of a closed door is sometimes enough to make me dread that something horrible is happening behind it, something that is going to affect me adversely.
- “willies” in Douglas Harper, Online Etymology Dictionary, 2001–2017.