Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Winner
- (UK) IPA(key): /ˈwɪnə/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˈwɪnɚ/
- Rhymes: -ɪnə(ɹ)
- Homophone: winter (some North American dialects)
winner (plural winners)
- One who has won or often wins.
1913, Joseph C. Lincoln, chapter 5, in Mr. Pratt's Patients:
- Of all the queer collections of humans outside of a crazy asylum, it seemed to me this sanitarium was the cup winner. […] When you're well enough off so's you don't have to fret about anything but your heft or your diseases you begin to get queer, I suppose.
- (sports) A point or goal that wins a competition.
2011 December 10, David Ornstein, “Arsenal 1-0 Everton”, BBC Sport:
- It was a fitting scoreline on the club's landmark anniversary, and appropriate that Van Persie should get the winner.
one who has won or often wins
point, goal (etc.) which wins a contest