Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (UK) IPA(key): /wɪθˈhəʊld/, /wɪðˈhəʊld/
- (US) IPA(key): /wɪθˈhoʊld/, /wɪðˈhoʊld/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -əʊld
- (transitive) To keep (a physical object that one has obtained) to oneself rather than giving it back to its owner.
- (transitive) To keep (information, etc) to oneself rather than revealing it.
- (transitive) To retain; to keep back; not to grant; as, to withhold assent to a proposition.
- (keep (a physical object) to oneself): retain
to keep an object
to keep information