- (UK) IPA(key): /wɪθˈhəʊld/, /wɪðˈhəʊld/
- (US) IPA(key): /wɪθˈhoʊld/, /wɪðˈhoʊld/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -əʊld
- (transitive) To keep (a physical object that one has obtained) to oneself rather than giving it back to its owner.
- (transitive) To keep (information, assent etc) to oneself rather than revealing it.
- (intransitive) To stay back.
- (keep (a physical object) to oneself): retain
to keep an object
to keep information
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.