Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (UK) enPR: wo͝odʹpĕkər, IPA(key): /ˈwʊdpɛkə/
Audio (RP) (file)
- (US) enPR: wo͝odʹpĕ'kər, IPA(key): /ˈwʊdˌpɛkɚ/
- Hyphenation: wood‧peck‧er
woodpecker (plural woodpeckers)
- Any bird of species-rich family Picidae, with a strong pointed beak suitable for pecking holes in wood.
- 1886, Peter Christen Asbjørnsen, H.L. Brækstad, transl., Folk and Fairy Tales, page 89:
- On its summit towered aloft the fir tree which has often been referred to, like a mighty mast, full of woodpeckers' holes.
- (military slang) Type 92 heavy machine gun
bird in Picinae