Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
yup (plural yups)
- (Can we verify(+) this sense?) (informal) A yes; an affirmative answer.
1981, Patrick F. McManus & Jack Samson, A Fine and Pleasant Misery, ISBN 1466809396, page 196:
- One was either a Yup or a Nope, depending upon his answer to that age-old question, "Gotcher deer yet?" I, of course, was still a Nope. Although Yups and Nopes looked pretty much alike they were as different as mallards from mongooses.
- 1984, Graduating engineer, Volumes 6-7 (page 147)
- But you positively must have much, much more than the laconic "yups" and "nups" of the John Waynes and Gary Coopers...
- 2003, Susie Moloney, The Dwelling (page 278)
- Petey's end was all yups and nopes. And an okay.
2015, Sarah Price, Second Chances: An Amish Retelling of Jane Austen's Persuasion, ISBN 1629982393:
- His hands moved, gesturing towards the two bidders, enticing them to raise their stakes against each other, as he chanted a litany of numbers followed by “going once, going twice” only to be followed by a resounding “yup” as he turned, alternately, towards each of the two men.
- A yuppie.
- (informal: a yes): nope
- Čestmír Loukotka, Johannes Wilbert (editor), Classification of South American Indian Languages (1968, Los Angeles: Latin American Studies Center, University of California), page(s) 261
- yuppie (young upwardly mobile urban professional person)