Jump to navigation Jump to search
- A short high-pitched humming sound, such as that made by a bullet or vibrating string.
- A witty insult or derogatory remark.
- (uncountable) Zest or vitality.
- (uncountable, slang) Pleasant or exciting flavour of food.
a short high-pitched humming sound
zest or vitality
- (intransitive) To move very quickly, especially while making a high-pitched hum.
- 2005, Donald Hall, The Best Day the Worst Day: Life with Jane Kenyon, Boston: Houghton Mifflin Company, →ISBN, page 101:
- When the caller identified herself as from the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle my heart zinged. I heard the words we had yearned for since March: They had found a donor marrow, mismatched at one antigen, that might work for Jane.
- (onomatopoeia) A high pitched humming sound.
- (US, slang) Used to acknowledge a witty comeback, a zinger.