Appendix:Glossary of Scottish slang and jargon
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- a, ah - I
- aboot - about
- ah ya bastart - Ouch, you bastard!
- Amentah? - Aren't I
- am ur - I am
- am no - I am not
- a um nay - I am not
- as-laat - "I was like that"; i.e., I was remarked to say (So the boss sez tae me that I was lazy, and as-laat, "Naw am-ur-nay!")
- a-wiz-nae - I was not
- awrite - all right
- aye - Yes
- arse / erse - bum
- anno - I know
- Aff - off (off yer heed)
- auld - old ( as in auld codyir)
- aw - all
- awfy - awfully
- bawheed - ballhead, empty headed, stupid (oh, you ya bawheed!)
- "baffies"- slippers
- . "Bahooky"- Bum
- bairn - baby (jist a wee bairn!) or small child.
- baltic - really cold (It's baltic!)
- bampot - an idiot, unhinged person (He is a bampot)
- barry - fantastic (That's pure barry)
- bastart - bastard, also, rarely, a peculiar term of endearment(awright Ted ya wee bastart)
- bawbag - scrotum, pejorative (That guy's a bawbag)
- bawhair- A recognized unit of measurement.
- burd - Girlfriend/ girls in general ' '(huv ye seen the state ay they burds!) ' '
- bevvy - drink ("Ye havin a bevvy the nite?")
- bizzo - business (from an episode of TV series Minder)
- Bigyin - Originated as Billy Connolly's nickname. Meaning: Big One, used as a term of endearment towards older relatives or friends
- blootered - very drunk
- boaby - police. Can also mean penis, or cum.
- boak- dry heave/expression of disgust "(Pure givin' me the boak!)"
- boggin - smelly, dirty (That's boggin'!)
- bolt - go away ("wanty bolt!")
- boot - slatternly or ugly woman
- bowfin - smelly, similar to howfin.
- brassic - Skint , from Cockney rhyming slang "Boracic Lint"
- burn - small river (Let's awa' up that burn) not actually slang as it's the correct term and used elsewhere in the world
- braw - beautiful, as in ('S'a braw bricht moonlicht nicht the nicht.')
- belter - to be excellent, great, fucking fantastic.
- Barras - a Market Started by Margaret McIver joined for the initial use of wheel barrows/"barras' to sell things from, at the Barrowland in the east end of Glasgow
- baws - reproductive matter storage device
- bawbee, bobee - one half-penny in auld money
- breeks - trousers
- brae, braw - brave, good as in thats good.
- Bonnie - pretty, beautiful
- but - conjunction sometimes used to end sentences, commonly in Inverclyde (Am naw gaun but!)
- cannae - can not
- chankin - cold (It's chankin the day!)
- chapel Church, from another religion ("He is going to chapel on Sunday")
- claes - clothes
- cunt - the vagina, commonly pejorative, also used for person
- cummoan - lets go,~~ please talk sense ~~ (vamos,. sp)
- cannie - Smart - "He's a cannie lad"
- chib - stab, a knife
- Da Father
- Dafty Silly
- dancin - nightclub
- dead - very; usually used with "pure" in front to describe something (That's pure dead brilliant!!!)
- diddy - did he? Also means idiot and female breasts ("Diddy go tae school?" "Wait! Ye left yur keys ya diddy!" "Check oot the diddies oan her.")
- dinnae/ dunno - Don't ("Dinnae dae that!") Dunno ( "Dunno" ) I Don't Know
- dobber - a fool/stupid person. Also means "dickhead" ("Whit ye daein ya dobber?!")
- dog/doggin - Having sexual intercourse in the back of a car (Oh my God. they were doggin'!), or skipping school (I couldn't be bothered so ended up jus doggin it)
- donder - a walk (comin fur a wee donner doon yonder?)
- doo - a pigeon
- doon - Down. ("Turn that doon! We got a fuckin can theif! TURN THAT DOON!")
- drookit - Soaking wet - drenched
- dug - a dog
- dunderheed - an idiot, a fool
- "Eh"-Yes/I (cumin ti the baths dode"? Eh). ( Eh wis like, that's pure tekul man)
- Embra - Edinburgh
- an empty - the residents who live in the house are not present and people take advantage by having a party in the "empty" house. ("Ma granny's got an empty, moan up fur a swallae.") Normally teenagers having a party in their own house when parents are away involves drinking which they would not be able to do with their friends if parents around.
- fae - from (a ken where yur fae)
- fanny - vagina, also means stupid person and/or wimp
- fannybawbag - general insult
- fannybawz - a term of ridicule, in some cases of endearment (ho, here fannybawz, geez a chip)
- fizzog - face
- feart - to be scared, afeared (I'm feert of the dark)
- fud - a complete and utter dobber (Where's ma money, ya fud?) also meaning vagina (Ah booted her right in the fud man!)
- Futer - to twiddle and mess about with something ( courtesy of Mrs A A Munro )
- fitba - football
- fit - what - Mainly used in the Aberdeen area
- gantin - smelly/really wanting something -("Ahm gantin for a shag!")
- geggy - mouth - "(Shut yer geggy")
- geez - give - ( geez it)
- glaikit - tired and/or depressed ("You look fair glaikit pal").
- Glesgae - Glasgow
- Glesga - Glasgow
- goat - idiot
- gobble - blowjob - ("Geez a gobble")
- '"gob"' -mouth- ("Shut your gob quine")
- gonnae no dae that - please do not do that
- gowpin/lowpin - sore body part/infested with lice - (My knee is gowpin)- ("Her heid was pure lowpin")
- goon - Idiot("You're a pure goon,man!")
- gran - Grandmother
- granda - Grandfather
- gingin (pronounced "ging-in") - Disgusting ("He wis spewin his guts up (being sick), it was heavy gingin!")
- Gan - Go
- Greet - To cry
- Gutties - Shoes
- huddy - idiot, stupid, lame brain
- hackit - ugly, Ruby
- hame - home "am away hame"
- hoose - house "it's in ma hoose"
- hoot - what "hoot are you talkin aboot"
- haver - silly talk, nonsense/ talking shit " stap yer havering "
- hawn - hand "watch ma hawn"
- hawd/hud - hold, stop "wanty hawd that?" Hawd yer wheeshd stop talking
- hen - term of endearment for a woman, equivalent to 'love' or 'darling' ("How ye dain the day, hen?")
- heed/heid - head "a've got a sare heed"
- heid-the-baw - an idiot.
- hoch-magandy - fornication (from an episode of the TV series The Sweeney).
- hole - sex/vagina ("She's gettin her hole the nite fur definite.")
- howfin/howlin/hummin - smelly
- heevin - very busy place ("This pub is heevin, ye canny get movin.")
- honkin - smelly/dirty ("Your farts are honkin by the way.")
- hoor - slang term for the word 'whore'
- hoora - slang term for 'very' ("That buckfast was hoora good.")
- hoos/hoose? - House
- how? - why?
- Hauf ' - a measure of whiskey
- Int tit? - isn't it?
- Isnae - Is not
- Jag injection
- jaked - being in a state of drunkenness (I was jaked last night)
- jake(y) - a person addicted to class A substances and has poor quality of life as consequence (commonly heroin)
- jessie/jessy - wimp/big girl's blouse
- jings! - Gosh!
- jobby - poo; plural form "jobbies"
- jobby jabber - a gay man (derogatory)
- ken - term for the word 'know' (I ken who he is, but I dinnae ken him, ken him);
- knob - slang for penis, in particular knob-end, also an irritating or contemptible person ("Wit a knob man!")
- kip - sleep/nap ("If yur tired, try fur a kip." "am away fir a kip man, shattered"
- Laddie - A male (as in "Aye, Laddie!")
- lecky - electricity - often used in reference to bills (she didn't pay her lecky this month)
- liftit - to be arrested by the police. e.g. He wiz totally pished in the police liftit him
- loupin - very sore/infested with lice ("My heid is loupin.")
- Lassie - A female
- ma Kelly-Ann - term for the Mrs ,me and Kelly-Ann did this my Kelly-Ann said that , me and Kelly Ann had a good pumpin last night etc etc
- magic - great/excellent (That's pure magic)
- maist - most
- malkied - blootered/drunk/wrecked (Heavy malkied last night, pal)
- maw - mum (Aye yer maw)
- mawkit/ manky - very dirty (Your trousers are mawkit!! Ya manky wee bam!!)
- meltit/melted - to be off one's face, usually on drugs - (Ah was pure melted man!)
- mibay/ mibbe - maybe.
- Middin- Yer Hoose when ye came back fae a bevvy (or 1950s rubbish bin )
- mince - rubbish/nonsense - (Dae talk mince)
- minger - originally a Scottish word for dirty/smelly/horrible person
- minted - rich/wealthy ("Look at his motor, he must be minted.)
- mingin - horrible/dirty ("Your bathroom is mingin")
- nae danger - no chance / no way
- napper - head
- naw- no
- ned- acronym for 'non-educated delinquent', useless waster, troublemaker
- nip- kiss (gonae give us a nip) or a single measure of an alcoholic spirit, often whisky (geez a nip wi that pint will ye darlin')
- nippin - stinging.
- numpty - an endearing term/lovable idiot. Shows friendly banter ("Och your a right numpty")
- nut - head, or another term used for the word no.
- nat king - another word for intercourse getting your hole (cole)
nat king cole - intercourse, commonly nat king cole, hole
- oaf - off
- oot - out
- oan yer bike - go away
- oan yer trolley - go away
- outwith Outside ( he lives outwith the catchment area for the school. That is outwith the remit of the report.)
- pan - break or disfigure ("pan the windows in")
- panbread - dead
- peedy - small (" yer nae haf peedy ya ken ")
- peebrusht - rectum (- from an episode of Minder)
- pineapple - Roman catholic chapel
- pish - piss
- pished - drunk
- pure - very, totally ("she's pure no right".)used to emphasis something. This is mainly used by Weegies
- polis - the police
- plastered - drunk
- quality - great/excellent ("That film was quality.")
- quine - young women, girl, daughter
- radge - Crazy (he went totally radge)
- roamin - Taking a walk ( gone on the piss, no told the missis an got lost )
- roaster - someone who is making a complete cunt of themselve ("Here, did ye see that roaster oan x-factor the other night?")
- ratarsed - drunk ( "Lets get ratarsed!"
- swatch - Look "sw a tch" (gae us a swatch o yur fanny)
- scheme - residential area usually council estate
- shan - a shame ("that's shan as fuck")
- shite - poo.
- shneeb - smoke.
- sneck/snecky, also shneck/shnecky (from the Gaelic Sneagaidh) - Inverness.
- scooby - clue, (no clue)
- scramble - (go away)
- scran - food or snack.
- scunnurt, scunnered - disgusted, fed up (Ah'm pure scunnurt)
- skelp - to smack or hit someone/thing (He telt me tae get ma tits oot so I skelped him) (I skelped ma heed oaf the heedboard)
- skuddy - naked ("Did ye see Jimmy? He was in the skuddy!")
- solid - hard, tough (I wouldnae say nowt tae him man, he's solid)
- sook - big softie (ya wee sook)
- Snashters - sweets or goodies to eat.
- squint not straight
- steamin - drunk
- swallae - to swallow, also means alcohol ("Dae ye fancy gon fur a wee swallae doon the pub?")
- skint (slang term for the word 'skinned') - no money/poor/no wages left.
- Scunner one who pisses ye aff, also used when hurt yourself (oh ye scunner that hurt)
- Skiddies Gentleman's undergarments with traces of last nights dinner
- Spondulieitise A medical condition for talking shit
- Stoor Dust. Look at aw that stoor on the telly
- tad - tiny bit ("it's a tad small")
- tae - to
- taps aff - (tops off) it's a hot day <--- na just means the suns oot so we take wur taps aff. .
- talking oot yer fanny flaps -lying
- tanned - to drink/drunk (I tant ten pints last night!)' to vandalise ("That hoose is gettin tanned")
- tap - to borrow money from someone ("Can ah tap a tenner aff ye?")
- tan - smash windows (I'm gonny tan yer windaes), or also a drink ("Gonnae gies a tan ae yur juice?")
- that's a sin - what a shame
- toaty - small/tiny
- tatties - potatoes
- tube - an idiot/fool
- Turkish - a faeces (Gies the paper, ah'm away fur a turkish) As in 'Turkish Delight' - Shite
- Twally ~~ A person of lesser intellect
Wheesht" be quiet
- wan - one (number or referring to an object person) "Wan table please." "Wit wan de ye want?"
- wee small
- weegie someone from Glasgow
- whae who
- whit what
- wean - (pronounced "Wayne") - child
- wallap (pronounced "wa-lup") - to hit someone/something ("Am gonnae wallap ye wan!") Can also mean to bang a body part ("Ah pure wallaped ma heid aff that table!")
- wallaper (pronounced wa-la-pur - an insult, meaning idiot/moron/dick ("He's a pure wallaper.")
- wanker - insult - "youre a pure wanker"
- winch - to French kiss someone 'geez a winch'
- Wur - our as in we took wur taps aff (took our tops off)
- "geein it yaldi"- giving 110%
- yin - one (not the number but referring to a person or object) "The big yin is oan his way." "Ye want the big yin aff the shelf?")
- "yocker" - a large, but still throwable, stone.