Appendix:Glossary of Scottish slang and jargon
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- a, ah - I
- aboot - about
- ah ya bastart - Ouch, that hurt (similarly, "ahyacunt")
- am ur - I am
- am no - I am not
- am-ur-nay - I am not
- as-laat - "I was like that"; i.e., I was remarked to say (So the boss sez tae me that I was lazy, and aslaat "Naw amurNay!")
- a-wiz-nae - I was not
- awrite - alright
- aye - Yes
- arse / erse - bum.
- anno - I know
- Aff - off (off yer heed).
- auld - old ( as in auld codyir)
- bairn - baby (jist a wee bairn!)
- baltic - really cold (It's baltic!)
- bampot - an idiot, unhinged person (He is a bampot)
- barry - fantastic (That's pure barry)
- bastirt - bastard, also a term of endearment(awright Ted ya wee bastirt)
- bawbag - scrotum, pejorative (That guy's a bawbag)
- bawhair- A recognized unit of measurement.
- burd - Girlfriend
- bevvy - drink ("Ye havin a bevvy the nite?"
- boaby - police. Can also mean penis (She's pure gettin' the boaby the night!!)
- boak- dry heave/expression of disgust "(Pure givin' me the boak!)"
- boggin - smelly, dirty (That's boggin'!)
- bolt - go away ("wanty bolt!")
- boot - ugly woman (Shut it, ya boot!)
- bowfin - smelly, similar to howfin.
- brassic - Skint , from Cockney rhyming slang "Boracic Lint"
- burn - small river (Let's awa' up that burn)
- braw - beautiful, as in ('s'a braw bricht moonlicht nicht the nicht.')
- belter - to be excellent, great, fucking fantastic.
- Barras - a Market Started by MARGARET RUSSELL coined for the initial use of wheel barrows/"barras' to sell things from, at the Barrowland in the east end of Glasgow
- Baws - reproductive storage appliance
- Bobee - 6 pence in auld money
- Breek - trousers
- cannae - can not
- chapel Church, from another religion ("He is going to chapel on Sunday")
- claes - clothes
- cunt - either an insult (You're a total cunt), as part of a threat ("I'm gonnae kick your cunt in") or as a general word for refering to others ("Everycunt wis at Dylan's party", "It took five cunts tae bring down Steven in that fight", "Naecunt showed up to Lauren's birthday") May also be used as a term of endearment ("that cunt's brand new", "i've known him all my days, he's a good cunt")
- cummoan - lets go,~~ please talk sense ~~ (vamos,. sp)
- cannie - Smart - "He's a cannie wee cunt"
- chib - stab - "am gonnae chib ye ya wee cunt"
- Da Father
- Dafty Silly
- dancin - nightclub
- dead - usually used with "pure" in front to describe something (That's pure dead brilliant!!!)
- diddy - did he? Also means idiot and female breasts ("Diddy go tae school?" "Wait! Ye left yur keys ya diddy!" "Check oot the diddies oan her.")
- dinnae/ dunno - Don't ("Dinnae dae that!") Dunno ( "Dunno" ) I Don't Know
- dobber - a fool/stupid person. Also means "dickhead" ("Whit ye daein ya dobber?!")
- dog/doggin - Having sexual intercourse in the back of a car (Oh my God. they were doggin'!), or skipping school (I couldn't be bothered so ended up jus doggin it)
- donner - a walk (comin fur a wee donner doon yonder?)
- doo - a pigeon
- doon - Down. ("Turn that doon! We got a fuckin can theif! TURN THAT DOON!")
- dug - a dog
- dunderheed a nice fool
- Embra - Edinburgh
- an empty - the residents who live in the house are not present and people take advantage by having a party in the "empty" house. ("Ma granny's got an empty, moan up fur a swallae.") Normally teenagers having a party in their own house when parents are away involves drinking which they would not be able to do with their friends if parents around.
- fae - from (a ken where yur fae)
- fanny - vagina, also means stupid person and/or wimp
- fannybawbag - general insult
- fannybawz - a term of endearment/ridicule (ho, here fannybawz, geez a chip)
- fizzog - face
- feert - to be scared, afeared (I'm feert of the dark)
- fud - a complete and utter dobber (Where's ma money, ya fud?) also meaning vagina (Ah booted her right in the fud man!)
- Futer - to twiddle and mess about with something ( courtesy of Mrs A A Munro )
- fitbaw - football
- fit - what
- gantin - smelly/really wanting something -("Ahm gantin for a shag!")
- geggy - mouth - "(Shut yer geggy")
- geez - give - (Don't geez it)
- glaikit - idiotic, slack-jawed.
- Glesgae - Glasgow
- Glesga - Glasgow
- gobble - blowjob
- gonnae no dae that - please do not do that
- gowpin/lowpin - sore body part/infested with lice - (My knee is gowpin)- ("Her heid was pure lowpin")
- goon - Idiot("You're a pure goon,man!")
- gran - Grandmother
- granda - Grandfather
- Gemma - Modern term for a beautiful woman with the class of a princess
- gingin (pronounced "ging-in") - Disgusting ("He wis spewin his guts up (being sick), it was heavy gingin!")
- Gan - Go
- hackit - ugly
- hame - home "am away hame"
- hoose - house "it's in ma hoose"
- hoot - what "hoot are you talkin aboot"
- haver - silly talk, nonsense/ talking shit " stap yer havering "
- hawn - hand "watch ma hawn"
- hawd/hud - hold, stop "wanty hawd that?" Hawd yer wheeshd stop talking
- hen - term of endearment for a woman, equivalent to 'love' or 'darling' ("How ye dain the day, hen?")
- heed/heid - head "a've got a sare heed"
- heid-the-baw - an idiot.
- hole - sex/vagina ("She's gettin her hole the nite fur definite.")
- howfin/howlin/hummin - smelly
- heevin - very busy place ("This pub is heevin, ye canny get movin.")
- honkin - smelly/dirty ("Your farts are honkin by the way.")
- hoor - slang term for the word 'whore'
- hoora - slang term for 'very' ("That buckfast was hoora good.")
- how? - why?
- Hauf ' - a measure of whiskey
- Jag injection
- jaked - being in a state of drunkenness (I was jaked last night)
- jake(y) - a homeless or unkempt person (usually describing an alcoholic)
- jessie/jessy - wimp/big girl's blouse
- jobby - poo; plural form "jobbies"
- jobby jabber - a gay man
- ken - term for the word 'know' (I ken who he is, but I dinnae ken him, ken him); not used in Glasgow area
- knob - insult, a person lacking intelligence.("Wit a knob man!")
- kip - sleep/nap ("If yur tired, try fur a kip." "am away fir a kip man, shattered"
- lecky - electricity - often used in reference to bills (she didn't pay her lecky this month)
- liftit - to be arrested by the police. e.g. He wiz totally pished an the polis liftit him
- loupin - very sore/infested with lice ("My heid is loupin.")
- Lassy - A female
- magic - great/excellent
- maw - mum (Aye yer maw)
- mawkit/ manky - very dirty (Your trousers are mawkit!! Ya manky wee bam!!)
- meltit/melted - to be off one's face, usually on drugs - (Ah was pure melted man!)
- mince - rubbish/nonsense - (Dae talk mince)
- minger/mingin - originally a Scottish word for dirty/smelly/horrible thing or person
- minted - rich/wealthy ("Look at his motor, he must be minted.)
- mibay/ mibbe - maybe.
- Middin- Yer Hoose when ye came back fae a bevvy (or 1950s rubbish bin )
- maist - most
- nae danger - no problem ("Ye want mince and totties fur yur dinner? Nae danger.")
- napper - head
- naw- no
- ned- acronym for 'non-educated delinquent', useless waster, troublemaker
- nip- kiss (gonae give us a nip) or a single measure of an alcoholic spirit, often whisky (geez a nip wi that pint will ye darlin')
- nippin - stinging.
- numpty - a useless individual/moron
- nut - head, or another term used for the word no.
- oaf - off
- oot - out
- oan yer bike - go away
- oan yer trolley - go away
- outwith Outside ( he lives outwith the catchment area for the school. That is outwith the remit of the report.)
- pan - break or disfigure ("pan the windows in")
- peedy - small (" yer nae haf peedy ya ken ")
- pish - piss
- pished - drunk
- pure - very, totally ("she's pure no right".)used to emphasis something.
- polis - the police
- quality - great/excellent ("That film was quality.")
- plastered - drunk
- radge - Crazy (he went totally radge)
- roamin - Taking a walk ( gone on the piss, no told the missis an got lost )
- scheme - residential area usually council estate
- shite - poo.
- shneeb - smoke.
- shneck - Inverness.
- scooby - clue, (no clue)
- scramble - (go away)
- scunnurt - fed up (Ah'm pure scunnurt)
- skelp - to smack or hit someone/thing (He telt me tae get ma tits oot so I skelped him) (I skelped ma heed oaf the heedboard)
- skuddy - naked ("Did ye see Jimmy? He was in the skuddy!")
- solid - hard, tough (I wouldnae say nowt tae him man, he's solid)
- sook - big softie (ya wee sook)
- squint not straight
- steamin - drunk
- swallae - to swallow, also means alcohol ("Dae ye fancy gon fur a wee swallae doon the pub?")
- skint (slang term for the word 'skinned') - no money/poor/no wages left.
- Scunner one who pisses ye aff
- Skiddies Gentleman's undergarments with traces of last nights dinner
- Spondulieitise A medical condition for talking shit ( the NHS also accept this as an ailment cos that what they do )
- talking oot yer fanny flaps -lying
- tanned - to drink/drunk (I tant ten pints last night!)' to vandalise ("That hoose is gettin tanned")
- tap - to borrow money from someone ("Can ah tap a tenner aff ye?")
- tan - smash windows (I'm gonny tan yer windaes)
- that's a sin - what a shame
- toaty - small/tiny
- tatties - potatoes
- tube - an idiot/fool
- Turkish - a faeces (Gies the paper, ah'm away fur a turkish) As in 'Turkish Delight' - Shite
- Twally ~~ A person of lesser intelect
- wan - one (number or referring to an object person) "Wan table please." "Wit wan de ye want?"
- wee small
- weegie someone from Glasgow
- whae who
- whit what
- wean - (pronounced "Wayne") - child
- wallap (pronounced "wa-lup") - to hit someone/something ("Am gonnae wallap ye wan!") Can also mean to bang a body part ("Ah pure wallaped ma heid aff that table!")
- wallaper (pronounced wa-la-pur - an insult, meaning idiot/moron/dick ("He's a pure wallaper.")
- yin - one (not the number but referring to a person or object) "The big yin is oan his way." "Ye want the big yin aff the shelf?")
- wanker - insult - "youre a pure wanker"