Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
English citations of Academy Award
- 1992, Vanity Fair, Volume 55, p. 74:
- Then, all of a sudden, out of the blue, he wins a bunch of Academy Awards and becomes America's sweetheart, and he's making tons of money, and George Bush is calling him every day to play golf.
- 1997, Terry McMillan, How Stella Got Her Groove Back, p. 225:
- They still make each other smile and they each brag about how smart and talented and wise and tender the other one is and how lucky each is to have met the other and they actually look happy and if it's a front then I say both of them deserve Academy Awards for their splendid performances.
- 2000, John Gardner, Day of Absolution, Scribner, ISBN 0743219716, page 340 :
- "Our drawing-room furniture and the corner cupboard will be lovely in this room," Tess had purred. "And we could have the Turner over the mantelpiece; over the Adam fireplace. It would look lovely."
- The agent got hopeful. He particularly liked people who talked about drawing rooms.
- "You ought to get an Academy Award," Ronnie told her later. "Bloody Academy Award you should have. Effing marvelous."
- 2002, Dorothy Cannell, The Importance of Being Ernestine, Penguin, ISBN 9780142002841 :
- Mrs. Malloy's innocent expression merited an Academy Award.
- 2002, Susan Elizabeth Phillips, Breathing Room, Avon edition, ISBN 0061032093, page 245 :
- While they worked, the townspeople spoke with heart-wringing emotion and dramatic gestures about how relieved they would be when old Paolo's secret stash money was found and they no longer had to live in mortal fear. Isabel wondered if an entire town could win an Academy Award.
- 2007, Emma Holly, In the Flesh, Black Lace, ISBN 0352341173, page 42 :
- 'You were a geisha?' she breathed. If her interest was feigned, she deserved an Academy Award.
- 2007, June Gavin, Corporate Adultery: The Married Bachelor, Dog Ear Publishing [self-published], ISBN 9781598583328, pages 116–117 :
- Ruthie stepped in first and and scanned the area visible from the foyer. "It is beautiful Darcie! Absolutely beautiful!"
- I fell into a world of stunned delight I couldn't have predicted. Walking through the entire house with Ruthie sounding explanations of approval and me unable to utter a single word I felt a sense of accomplishment that could replicate the euphoria of an Academy Award winner.
- 2009, Gitty Daneshvari, The Makedown, Grand Central Publishing, ISBN 9780446544399 :
- My catering experience has taught me that for regular folk, having a party thrown in your honor is akin to winning an Academy Award; it demands a moving speech.
- 2009, Laura Hayden, Red, White, and Blue, Tyndale House, ISBN 9781414319407, page 88 :
- Although Emily had the figure and the bearing to pull off an Academy Award–red carpet–worthy dress, she'd selected something a little more sedate […] .
- 2009, Christina Wilsdon, Animal Defenses, p. 35:
- Going limp and lying still works well for many animals, but a few species deserve Academy Awards for their death-feigning skills.
- 2010, Nancy Rue, Boyfriends, Burritos & an Ocean of Trouble, Zondervan, ISBN 9780310575924, :
- Finally Ms. Dorchester announced that she was calling the defendant, Preston Oliver, to the stand. You'd have thought she was going to give him an Academy Award the way she escorted him to the box. he certainly deserved one. He'd sat at the defense table all day smirking or looking bored out of his mind, but the minute he hit the witness stand, he was the portrait of a concerned citizen, just there to do the right thing. You'd never have known he was on trial for a felony.