American Sign Language
- (ASL gloss) A-LOT, MUCH
The hands encompass a large amount of something.
- This two-handed ASL sign is produced as follows:
- Posture the nondominant hand in in , . Posture the dominant hand in touching the tip(s) of the extended finger(s) of the nondominant hand, .
- Move both hands to the following posture.
- Posture the nondominant hand in about half an arm's length in front of and beside the chest, . Posture the dominant hand in about half an arm's length in front of and beside the chest, .
- Alternatively, the hands may begin near each other rather than touching.
- Alternatively, the palm tips may point up rather than forward.
- Stokoe: Ø5'5÷
- (much): Moving the hands farther apart may signify a larger or even excessive amount. Like English much, the adjective use of this sign only modifies mass nouns, not countable nouns. For countable nouns, see S@InsideChesthigh-PalmUp-S@InsideChesthigh-PalmUp 5@InsideChesthigh-PalmUp-5@InsideChesthigh-PalmUp (“many”).