Once you've decided that a change is the best way forward:
- Check Special:Listusers to see whether your desired name is not already taken. While it is possible to hijack existing user accounts without their permission, this is undesirable and will require a special reason.
- Click add your request and explain clearly why you want to make the change, you must sign your request from your old account.
- Wait patiently for one of our bureaucrats to deal with your request.
Once fulfilled 
Your old account will not exist anymore. All edits and other user data (including preferences and watchlist) from your old account will be reattributed to your new account. You can log in with your old password. A log of these changes is kept at Special:Log/renameuser and the requests are archived here.
- You should your old User: and User_talk: pages to your new user name; don't just copy the content.
- If you wish you can recreate your old account and request that an administrator block it to prevent other users from impersonating you.
Hi, I'd like to avoid conflicts of interests with an existing company. If you could help with this name change, it would be much appreciated!
- Done. However, it automatically capitalizes the name: User:Pairofpears38. Hope that’s okay. —Stephen (Talk) 00:27, 2 November 2011 (UTC)
- Perfect, thanks!—Pearofpears38 2 November 2011
Templates break at the * in my old username, so I try to change it everywhere, to get SUL back with the new name, too. *Sebi* 18:28, 4 November 2011 (UTC)
- Done. SemperBlotto 22:13, 4 November 2011 (UTC)
When setting up the account for our bands page we put in thedeceiveruk when really we want the search for the page to be The Deceiver UK
- Request has not been signed. You seem to have made no contributions anywhere under either name, and User:The Deceiver UK seems not to exist yet, so just stop using the old name and start using the new one. Nobody needs to change anything. —Stephen (Talk) 05:51, 18 November 2011 (UTC)
Usurpation of User:Bernard 
Hi. I am the owner of the Bernard SUL-account and I wish to usurp this account. Here is the confirm. Thanks. A note was left on the user's talk page. User had only 2 edits, the last one in 2007. 188.8.131.52 13:52, 25 November 2011 (UTC)
- Creo que sea necesario iniciar sesión usando un nombre de usuario temporal, tal como User:Bernardtemp. —Stephen (Talk) 14:19, 25 November 2011 (UTC)
Please see [diff] for confirmation. Please do not delete the GreenPine account, just usurp Pine so that I can link the Wiktionary Pine account to the Pine SUL. I may also use the GreenPine SUL because GreenPine is unique on all Wikimedia sites, while my preferred name of Pine only has access to some sites through SUL, so I want to keep GreenPine active and usurp Wiktionary's Pine account to the Pine SUL. The Pine usurp has been completed on several other Wikimedia sites but not all of them. Thank you. GreenPine 07:49, 26 November 2011 (UTC)
- User:GreenPine is a global account. Renaming it will cause the local user to be detached from the global one. Is that what you want? If you do not want User:GreenPine to be renamed, then I think you need to log in with a temporary name, such as User:Pinetemp. Then I can rename that one and not touch User:GreenPine. —Stephen (Talk) 07:57, 26 November 2011 (UTC)
I'm Pundit from en-wiki and pl-wiki (where I currently serve as an admin and a bureaucrat). I'd like to finally unify my accounts, this one seems to be the only one that needs action (and a number of edits justifying usurpation). Pundit (temporary) 02:43, 29 November 2011 (UTC)
I have an account 'Mahir256' registered as a SUL on Wikipedia, and it works on other languages and projects, but for some reason it does not work on this one. w:User:Mahir256 is my current user page on Wikipedia, if you need it. I should assume that my SUL password will work this time once the change has been done. --Mahirtemp 03:23, 1 December 2011 (UTC)
I have an account named Entropy registered as a SUL on Wikipedia. An account exists with this username here, but that user has not made any contributions. I would like to usurp this username on Wiktionary. A diff confirming my identity is available on en.wikipedia.org here. Nklose 06:29, 13 December 2011 (UTC)
Hi, I′d like to move this account in order to unify my usernames throughout the Wikimedia projects. The account “Glossologist” belongs to me (confirmed here), and should thus be usurped. --Gleb Borisov 11:20, 29 December 2011 (UTC)
Usurpation SUL User:Moisestemporary → User:Moises 
Hi, I would like to complete the unification of my accounts under the Username:Moises. My home wiki discussion page is w:ca:Usuari Discussió:Moises, and there is the confirmation of my request. The account Username:Moises in en.wiktionary has no edits. Thank you.--Moisestemporary 20:12, 1 January 2012 (UTC)
User:Odea → User:O'Dea 
I need to change my USERID for consistency across Wiki projects. I have already changed my ID at English Wikipedia and at Wikicommons. I am currently Odea here at Wiktionary but I wish to become O'Dea and to have my contribution history attributed to my new identity. I have recently logged into my Wikipedia talk page using both identities to verify my identity and request. Thank you. Odea 15:59, 4 January 2012 (UTC)
I have been renamed on almost all other wikis where I am active (wikispecies being the only exception for the moment), could this be done here, too? Thanks! --Guillaume2303 20:16, 8 January 2012 (UTC)
hi.Please change my username of Amirali-esfahanian to Amirali-E for shorten the username.thank you.Amirali-esfahanian 23:53, 24 January 2012 (UTC)
please change my user name
- Done. SemperBlotto 22:15, 31 January 2012 (UTC)
I would like to ursurp User:Steak, so that I can process to unify this username on all projects with SUL. User Steak has done only few edits on his user page. I have asked him one week ago, but he didnt answer (see User talk:Steak) and he has no wiki mail. Confirmation, that I am User Steak in nearly all other projects is here. Steak2 15:00, 3 February 2012 (UTC)
- Done. SemperBlotto 15:20, 3 February 2012 (UTC)
Was renamed on en-wiki so would like to be renamed here in order to unify my accounts across all projects. --B.wilson 10:37, 7 February 2012 (UTC)
- Done. SemperBlotto 10:40, 7 February 2012 (UTC)
I'd like to change my username for privacy
Global change. Confirmation at w:en:User_talk:IIBewegung. I'm going to start participating in German (de.wik*) projects and would like to change my username in all of the existing wiki accounts to something that's is not a word or a phrase in German (or in any other language). It will make my records in Talk and History pages less distracting.
- Done. SemperBlotto 16:58, 10 February 2012 (UTC)
My current name is ugly and hard to spell. The new name has great sentimental value to me. Ephemeronium 14:46, 11 February 2012 (UTC)
Usurpation request. Note that this request is to verify the renaming of this username for a global rename of this account; don't rename this account, but rename that account (for now). Thanks. Hurricanefan25 19:20, 15 February 2012 (UTC)
- User:Echo is not very active, but has made the occasional edit in various wikis for some years. His latest activity was this month. See User:Echo. Why don’t you choose another name? —Stephen (Talk) 23:28, 15 February 2012 (UTC)
- I belive you overlooked it - scwiki has edits, but this one doesn't. Hurricanefan25 21:36, 16 February 2012 (UTC)
- No, I saw it. svwiki has a very recent edit, but not enwiktionary. What does that matter? User:Echo has the right to his username on every wiki, including the ones where he does not edit. If you want to contact User:Echo directly and ask him if you can take away his name (on all wikis), then if he agrees, I can do it. —Stephen (Talk) 21:47, 16 February 2012 (UTC)
- I belive you overlooked it - scwiki has edits, but this one doesn't. Hurricanefan25 21:36, 16 February 2012 (UTC)
I'm renaming my old name in all wiki projects for my real name. Please, rename my name here too. And please, lock my old name if it's possible.--Maltrobat 11:57, 23 February 2012 (UTC)
I started using Wikipedia with this pseudonym, but as I now start collaborating with professional "offline"-collegues on (mathematical) wiki-pages, I get tired of explainig who I am - and with wiki-experience I now also feel more comfortable disclosing my real name.
It would be important to me, that also old posts would appear with the new Signature or the renaming is "officially documented", as I'll use my texts also as introduction in scientific publications (and if possible please lock my old name).
- Hmm, I don't think all your signatures can be retroactively changed. (What on Earth did you do on Wiktionary that relates to scientific publications?) Equinox ◑ 20:45, 6 March 2012 (UTC)
(SUL) → User:Deepak 
I am active in ml.wikipedia . help me to complete SUL . conformation link:http://ml.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=%E0%B4%89%E0%B4%AA%E0%B4%AF%E0%B5%8B%E0%B4%95%E0%B5%8D%E0%B4%A4%E0%B4%BE%E0%B4%B5%E0%B4%BF%E0%B4%A8%E0%B5%8D%E0%B4%B1%E0%B5%86_%E0%B4%B8%E0%B4%82%E0%B4%B5%E0%B4%BE%E0%B4%A6%E0%B4%82%3ADeepak&diff=1205619&oldid=1202403 --184.108.40.206 03:27, 18 March 2012 (UTC)
- I’m not sure that I understand. Do you mean that you want to usurp the existing name User:Deepak? If so, I think you need to create a different name here first. I can’t change User:220.127.116.11 to User:Deepak. If you are wanting to usurp User:Deepak, create a temporary username first. —Stephen (Talk) 06:42, 18 March 2012 (UTC)
Your account, w:User:Alexk98, has be indefinitely blocked as a vandalism-only account. Your other account, w:User:ILikeTurtlez, is likewise blocked for the same reasons. We can’t help you here. —Stephen (Talk) 19:26, 22 March 2012 (UTC)
User:Voyagerfan5761 → User:Dgw (SUL, self-usurp) 
I got a rename on my home wiki (En.WP) and then visited other Wikimedia wikis like this one while logged in to my new SUL account, which of course created new accounts where I hadn't yet gotten renames. "Dgw" here is me, the result of such an auto-creation. I would greatly appreciate it if my two accounts (Dgw and Voyagerfan5761) could be swapped, so my SUL will continue to work.
In a moment, I will make sure that my English Wikipedia talk page contains a confirmation of this usurpation request in an HTML comment.
I use SankarVaiyapuri as my username in many of the sites and i have a plan to join as wikimedia member and before that i would like to change the username. Thanks in advance..
I would like change my username as the one which is professional. Thanks in advance..
User:N tmp → User:N 
Request is for SUL. My home wiki and confirmation link: https://de.wiktionary.org/wiki/Benutzer:N
I recently usurped this username at English Wikipedia, and will follow the procedure to prove ownership on my talk page there. A usurp request is in progress on Wikimedia Commons. The old name is a little childish, and I feel it no longer represents me. Thanks :) Chicken7 (talk) 11:23, 13 June 2012 (UTC)
User:Pilcrow → User:Æ&Œ 
¶ I used ‘Pilcrow’ because of Doremítzwr, who is now retired, so hopefully he sha’n’t mind me changing, & I didn’t think that this Title suited me so well in the first Place. My current Username also, in my Opinion, carries an unpleasant Stigma. This new Title should reflect a peculiar Interest of mine. It is also more recognisable by my Friends & Allies ; I use it on other ‘Wiktionaries’. --Pilcrow (talk) 21:52, 28 June 2012 (UTC)
I am no longer using the current username and I want to move my contributions to the new username I propose above. I have the SUL account, so if you rename the old username, I am no longer listed on SUL without logging in to that account on the English Wiktionary. Reason is m:Right to vanish. --ADNghiem501 (talk) 02:07, 29 June 2012 (UTC)
Remove chris55 
Can you please delete user:Chris55. I made it some years back using an email address I no longer have access to cannot remember the password. I can't log in here obviously but left a message on the user page a few days back. —This comment was unsigned.
- I don't know if that's possible but I'll indef. block the account so that it can't pose a threat in the event a hacker did get access to it. 50 Xylophone Players talk 13:01, 9 July 2012 (UTC)
- Perché non avete cambiato il Suo nome d’utente nel wiki italiano? Il nome it:Utente:.sEdivad non è nemmeno lì registrati. Questo cambiamento non è menzionato sulla pagina di it:Discussioni utente:Siciliano Edivad. —Stephen (Talk) 04:31, 24 July 2012 (UTC)
- Posso parlare in italiano, vero? Ho fatto richiesta in diverse wiki, ma sinora la rinomina non è stata eseguita in tutte. Puoi trovare qualche conferma qui:    Ciao! --Siciliano Edivad (talk) 12:31, 24 July 2012 (UTC)
User:Jaho → User:Jahoe 
To resolve SUL conflict. Accounts on en.wikipedia (home wiki) and commons are already renamed. I have done (or will do shortly) similar requests on all relevant projects.
I changed my nick in es.wikt and need to make a global unification. It is true that I have very few editions but I need to usurp this nick. Also this account is very very old (2006) so that the owner of this is not going to use. Greetings.--Cyrax Cyborg (talk) 21:13, 21 October 2012 (UTC)
- Sorry, the original owner of the name User:Cyrax wishes to keep that name. —Stephen (Talk) 05:31, 25 October 2012 (UTC)
Messaged the user at User_talk:Czar over a week ago and haven't heard an objection. I own the "Czar" SUL and am unifying all "Czar" usernames per the Commons usurp process. (Proof of Ownership) Thank you Mxdxcxnx (talk) 16:49, 24 October 2012 (UTC)
- Done. SemperBlotto (talk) 16:52, 24 October 2012 (UTC)
Please see https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benutzer:Pajz/rename_requests for confirmation that I am the owner of the global account Pajz. —Pill (Contact) 18:49, 28 October 2012 (UTC)
Self-Usurpation: User:Memetics → User:Memetics 
I own the global user name Memetics. Apparently I had created a Wiktionary account years ago but only used it once, and am not able to locate the email or password I had used for the account. (I.e., I asked for password reset but never received the email at any of my active email accounts.) I would like to complete SUL conversion (see here), so I'd like to self-usurp (hopefully that's the right thing to request) and merge the Wiktionary account into my global SUL account. I've recorded this IP on my Memetics user page on Wikipedia for confirmation. 18.104.22.168 06:44, 11 November 2012 (UTC)
- I think you have to create a temporary username here first, such as User:Memetics(temp). Then I can change that to Memetics. —Stephen (Talk) 07:14, 11 November 2012 (UTC)
None (SUL request) → User:Gusta 
- This looks like a usurp request. Is that correct? —Stephen (Talk) 08:14, 6 December 2012 (UTC)
Hi there. I would like to request a renaming. Here's proof that I'm the owner of the second account: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/User:Matija/rename Thanks in advance. Fejstkajkafski (talk) 15:58, 20 December 2012 (UTC)
- Current name: User:Shirou15 ( )
- Requested name: old & new) ( (SUL reports:
- Reason: Global account unification. Tagalog Wikipedia Commons
- You need to create a temporary username, such as User:Dj (temp) and sign your request using that name. User:None is not a registered name, so I cannot change it to anything. —Stephen (Talk) 13:55, 30 December 2012 (UTC)
- Done --Dj (temp) (talk) 17:58, 30 December 2012 (UTC)
As you cannot have a username that is the same as an organization's name, I would like to change my username.
- Hi. You need to log on as User:Project Weber and sign your request with ~~~~ so that we know the request is valid. Thanks. —Stephen (Talk) 18:29, 7 January 2013 (UTC)
Hello. I would like to change the username because it is the name of an organization and so it does not meet wiki requirements.
When I go back and forth between Wikipedia and Wiktionary it would be easier if I had the same user name.
Sorry to bother you; Jim
- You don't have any contributions under the username 'Musabbir035'; so why not just create 'Musabbir Islam' as a new account? —RuakhTALK 15:13, 16 January 2013 (UTC)
XJamRastafire → XJaM 
I'd like to rename from "Meand" to "Me and" per my recent rename on English Wikipedia. There's SUL on the old name, but I'm waiting to finish renames on other projects before setting up SUL on the new one. Thanks! Meand (talk) 09:31, 24 April 2013 (UTC)
- Done. —Stephen (Talk) 14:15, 24 April 2013 (UTC)
- Done. —Stephen (Talk) 15:19, 28 April 2013 (UTC)
User:BCG999 (SUL) → User:RandomDSdevel (SUL) 
Hi; I would like to have my current username changed for SUL purposes to be 'RandomDSdevel' so as to reflect the fact that I recently switched over to this username on Wikipedia because of how my old username contains my initials. Could you do that for me, please?
BCG999 (talk) 17:17, 2 May 2013 (UTC)
- Done. —Stephen (Talk) 19:31, 2 May 2013 (UTC)
So that I don't end up as Astral~enwiktionary come May 27. There doesn't seem to be anyone using the account name Cloudcuckoolander on other Wikimedia projects. It's a bit ungainly, I know, but I like it and it keeps me from having to resort to using something with random numerals. Astral (talk) 04:02, 8 May 2013 (UTC)
I want to change my Username as current username might reflect that I have created a page on behalf of the AcSIR (i.e. to promote it), while, I just wanted to share with the aspiring Indian researchers like me that there is this Academy which has just begun with the support of established Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) of India.
Hope to hear from you soon.
- I am not comfortable with doing this, because your account was blocked indefinitely on English Wikipedia because it appears to be mainly intended for publicity and/or promotional purposes. If you can have your username changed at w:User:AcSIR first, then we will be glad to do it here as well. —Stephen (Talk) 19:42, 10 May 2013 (UTC)