Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
American Sign Language
- (with palm facing forward) 1@Side-PalmForward
From French Sign Language.
- This one-handed ASL sign is produced as follows:
|GUH Hand||LUH Hand||LUH Move||GUH Move||GUH Hand||LUH Hand|
|GUH Palm||LUH Palm||Second||Second||GUH Palm||LUH Palm|
|GUH Position||LUH Separation||Third||Third|
- Some people always sign the number 1 with the palm forward. For others, however, the palm faces back (i.e., as 1@Side-PalmBack) for the actual number 1 but the palm faces forward when used as a part of a longer number like 555-1234, as a time (i.e. one o'clock), and in certain other numeral-incorporating constructs.
- Like other single-digit ASL numerals, this sign is incorporated into several other signs to indicate a single instance. Several of the derived terms below show that numeral incorporation.
- 1@Palm-FingerUp-FlatB@CenterChesthigh-FingerUp RoundSurfaceSmall 1@Palm-FingerForwardUp-FlatB@CenterChesthigh-FingerUp (“one minute”)
- 1@Palm-FingerUp-FlatB@CenterChesthigh-FingerUp RoundSurface 1@Palm-FingerUp-FlatB@CenterChesthigh-FingerUp (“one hour”)
- 1@SideNeckhigh-FingerUp-Claw5@BaseForearm-PalmDown RoundVert 1@BaseForearm-FingerAcross-Claw5@BaseForearm-PalmDown (“one day”)
- 1@BasePalm-PalmDown-FlatB@CenterChesthigh-PalmUp 1@Finger-PalmDown-FlatB@CenterChesthigh-PalmUp (“one week”)
- 1@BackFinger-FingerAcross-1@CenterChesthigh-FingerUp 1@BackHand-FingerAcross-1@CenterChesthigh-PalmUp (“one month”)
- 1@Chin RoundMidline 1@FromChin (“one year old”)