Wiktionary:Requested entries (Hindi)
Have an entry request? Add it to the list. - But please:
- Think twice before adding long lists of words as they may be ignored.
- If possible provide context, usage, field of relevance, etc.
Please remove entries from this list once they have been written (i.e. the link is “live”, shown in blue, and has a section for the correct language)
There are a few things you can do to help:
- Add glosses or brief definitions.
- Add the part of speech, preferably using a standardized template.
- Please indicate the gender(s) .
- If you see inflected forms (plurals, past tenses, superlatives, etc) indicate the base form (singular, infinitive, absolute, etc) of the requested term and the type of inflection used in the request.
- For words which are listed here only in their romanized form, please add the correct form in Devanagari script.
- Don’t delete words just because you don’t know them — it may be that they are used only in certain contexts or are archaic or obsolete.
- Don’t simply replace words with what you believe is the correct form. The form here may be rare or regional. Instead add the standard form and comment that the requested form seems to be an error in your experience.
- अलविदा means goodbye in Hindi.
- आँवला (āmvalā) nm., myrrh —Strabismus (talk) 03:04, 8 October 2012 (UTC)
- आत्मन (atman)
- आलबोखारा (ālbokhārā) -- prune
- आलूबुखारा (ālūbukhārā) -- plum
- वर with arabic urdu writing
- अमरूद means guava in Hindi.
- कन्द (kanda) -- yam
- काल - (Kali the Destructor Goddess, Kala, the Time) - has Sanskrit but no Hindi
- कायस्थ - Brahman caste
- कैंडी means candy.
- छौंक - chaunk
- छत्तीसगढ़ Chhattisgarh (a state in central India) —Strabismus (talk) 03:01, 8 October 2012 (UTC)
- जमीकन्द (jamīkanda) -- yam
- जुगलबंधी - jugalbandhi (conjoined twins, duo musical performance)
- जमना - (jamnā) verb, intransitive -- to freeze
- झयजय -- cheers
- तेजपत्ता - a tree similar to cinnamon
- तिथि (tithi) nf., (lunar) day —Strabismus (talk) 03:09, 8 October 2012 (UTC)
- तबला (tablā) nm., a tabla, kind of drum
Divisha - Divine wish
- बागर (bāgar) nm., dike
- बकरा (bakrā) nm., (billy-)goat
- बकरी (bakrī) nf., (nanny-)goat
- बीड़ी (bīṛī) nf., plug of tobacco
- बुड्ढा (buḍḍhā) nm., old man, "geezer" —Strabismus (talk) 03:20, 8 October 2012 (UTC)
- मजे़दार -- yummy
- मधुर -- (has Sanskrit, needs Hindi) delicious, sweet
- मूँह noun, m. (mū̃h) -- mouth
- मूस (mūs) nm., mouse —Strabismus (talk) 03:22, 8 October 2012 (UTC)
- महफिल - mehfil
- मयंक - mayank
- रमणीय -- delicious
- राहुल (rāhul) nmpr., Rahul
- रानी (rānī) nf., queen
- रागमाला (rāgmālā) nm., collection of ragas —Strabismus (talk) 03:30, 8 October 2012 (UTC)
- सुस्वादु -- delicious
- सुस्वाद -- delicious
- सूखा बेर (sūkhā ber) -- prune
- सेन - a Bengali surname
- संध्या - evening
- समायोजित (samājoyit) adj., adjusted —Strabismus (talk) 03:33, 8 October 2012 (UTC)
- ज़फ़र - victory, profit, gain
- chāhiye -- same as "chāhie"?
- chāhie -- form of [चाहना] (Mujhko ... chāhie = I want)?
- dījiye -- imperative form of देना?
- mosambi -- sweet lime, a fruit
- ganga jamuna -- a drink made from orange and mosambi
- chickoo, chikoo, चिक्कू, chiku, or चीकू
- kachori -- a street food snack
- ganarajya = gana + raj ? Yes/No ?
- kya baat hai - very common exclamation uttered by listeners at concerts of Hindustani classical music
- bas - I removed the Hindi from bas as Hindi does not use the Latin script. Mglovesfun (talk) 11:23, 24 March 2010 (UTC)
- gota - refers to lentils such as masoor dal without skins
- ठग्गी (tuggee)