Wiktionary:Requested entries (Hindi)
Have an entry request? Add it to the list. - But please:
- Think twice before adding long lists of words as they may be ignored.
- If possible provide context, usage, field of relevance, etc.
Please remove entries from this list once they have been written (i.e. the link is “live”, shown in blue, and has a section for the correct language)
There are a few things you can do to help:
- Add glosses or brief definitions.
- Add the part of speech, preferably using a standardized template.
- If you know what a word means, consider creating the entry yourself instead of using this request page.
- Please indicate the gender(s) .
- If you see inflected forms (plurals, past tenses, superlatives, etc) indicate the base form (singular, infinitive, absolute, etc) of the requested term and the type of inflection used in the request.
- For words which are listed here only in their romanized form, please add the correct form in Devanagari script.
- Don’t delete words just because you don’t know them — it may be that they are used only in certain contexts or are archaic or obsolete.
- Don’t simply replace words with what you believe is the correct form. The form here may be rare or regional. Instead add the standard form and comment that the requested form seems to be an error in your experience.
Family relation names
- चला जाता (calā jātā)
- जुगलबंधी (jugalbandhī) - jugalbandhi (conjoined twins, duo musical performance)
- झयजय (jhayajay) -- cheers
- तान (tān) - has Sanskrit, doesn't have Hindi
- तेजपत्ता (tejpattā) - a tree similar to cinnamon
- तीन ताल (tīn tāl)
- तबला तरंग (tablā taraṅg) - a set of tabla drums, played melodically
- तूर दाल (tūr dāl)
- Divisha - Divine wish
- पखावज (pakhāvaj)
- बागर (bāgar) (bāgar) nm., dike
- बीन (bīn) - a musical instrument
- बीड़ी (bīṛī) (bīṛī) nf., plug of tobacco
- मयंक (mayaṅk) - mayank
- महफिल (mahphil) - mehfil
- मूँह (mū̃h) noun, m. (mū̃h) -- mouth
- मूस (mūs) (mūs) nm., mouse —Strabismus (talk) 03:22, 8 October 2012 (UTC)
- मुस्कुराना (muskurānā) verb, muskarana -- to smile
- मोरचंग (morcaṅg) - Jew's harp (check spelling)
- मींड (mīṇḍ)
- मीलों (mīlõ) - Not sure what it is. (From यह जंगल मीलों तक फैलै हुआ है) --KoreanQuoter (talk) 05:10, 23 September 2016 (UTC)
- रागमाला (rāgmālā) (rāgmālā) nm., collection of ragas —Strabismus (talk) 03:30, 8 October 2012 (UTC)
- रा (rā)
- रुद्रवीणा (rudravīṇā) - a plucked string instrument
- लहरा or लहर - is this the correct spelling for the repeating melody used during tabla solos in Hindustani music? Apparently it literally means "wave."
- सुस्वादु (susvādu) -- delicious
- सुस्वाद (susvād) -- delicious
- सूखा बेर (sūkhā ber) (sūkhā ber) -- prune
- सेन (sen) - a Bengali surname
- संध्या (sandhyā) - evening
- समायोजित (samāyojit) (samājoyit) adj., adjusted —Strabismus (talk) 03:33, 8 October 2012 (UTC)
- सुर बहार (sur bahār)
- सुरश्री (suraśrī) - has Sanskrit, needs Hindi
- सरोद (sarod)
- ज़फ़र (zafar) - victory, profit, gain
- नर्त (nart)
- chāhiye -- same as "chāhie"?
- chāhie -- form of [चाहना] (Mujhko ... chāhie = I want)?
- dījiye -- imperative form of देना?
- mosambi -- sweet lime, a fruit
- ganga jamuna -- a drink made from orange and mosambi
- chickoo, chikoo, चिक्कू, chiku, or चीकू
- kachori -- a street food snack
- Ulta chor kotwal ko dante - the pot calling the kettle black?
- भार्गव (bhārgav)
- ganarajya = gana + raj ? Yes/No ?
- kya baat hai - very common exclamation uttered by listeners at concerts of Hindustani classical music
- bas - I removed the Hindi from bas as Hindi does not use the Latin script. Mglovesfun (talk) 11:23, 24 March 2010 (UTC)
- gota - refers to lentils such as masoor dal without skins
- भण्टा (bhaṇṭā)
- फ़िराक़ (firāq)
- ठग्गी (tuggee)
- chulha - a cooking stove
- फैला (phailā) Not sure what it is.(From यह भयानक वन सैकड़ों किलोमीटर तर फैला था) --KoreanQuoter (talk) 05:12, 23 September 2016 (UTC)
- दुगला (duglā)
- ओलम (olam) - alphabet?
- अजवाइन (ajvāin) - ajwain
- करैत (karait)