Wiktionary:Requested entries (Hindi)
Have an entry request? Add it to the list. - But please:
- Think twice before adding long lists of words as they may be ignored.
- If possible provide context, usage, field of relevance, etc.
Please remove entries from this list once they have been written (i.e. the link is “live”, shown in blue, and has a section for the correct language)
There are a few things you can do to help:
- Add glosses or brief definitions.
- Add the part of speech, preferably using a standardized template.
- If you know what a word means, consider creating the entry yourself instead of using this request page.
- Please indicate the gender(s) .
- If you see inflected forms (plurals, past tenses, superlatives, etc) indicate the base form (singular, infinitive, absolute, etc) of the requested term and the type of inflection used in the request.
- For words which are listed here only in their romanized form, please add the correct form in Devanagari script.
- Don’t delete words just because you don’t know them — it may be that they are used only in certain contexts or are archaic or obsolete.
- Don’t simply replace words with what you believe is the correct form. The form here may be rare or regional. Instead add the standard form and comment that the requested form seems to be an error in your experience.
Family relation names
- जुगलबंधी (jugalbandhī) - jugalbandhi (conjoined twins, duo musical performance)
- तान (tān) - has Sanskrit, doesn't have Hindi
- तेजपत्ता (tejpattā) - a tree similar to cinnamon
- तीन ताल (tīn tāl)
- तबला तरंग (tablā taraṅg) - a set of tabla drums, played melodically
- तूर दाल (tūr dāl)
- divisha - Divine wish
- पखावज (pakhāvaj)
- बीन (bīn) - a musical instrument
- मयंक (mayaṅk) - mayank
- महफिल (mahphil) - mehfil
- मोरचंग (morcaṅg) - Jew's harp (check spelling)
- मींड (mīṇḍ)
- विस्मय (vismay) -- wonder or amazement
- सुस्वादु (susvādu) -- delicious
- सुस्वाद (susvād) -- delicious
- सूखा बेर (sūkhā ber) (sūkhā ber) -- prune
- सेन (sen) - a Bengali surname
- समायोजित (samāyojit) (samājoyit) adj., adjusted —Strabismus (talk) 03:33, 8 October 2012 (UTC)
- सुर बहार (sur bahār)
- सुरश्री (suraśrī) - has Sanskrit, needs Hindi
- सरोद (sarod)
- सरपंच (sarpañc) - sarpanch
- ज़फ़र (zafar) - victory, profit, gain
- नर्त (nart)
- ganga jamuna -- a drink made from orange and mosambi
- chickoo, chikoo, चिक्कू, chiku, or चीकू
- kachori -- a street food snack
- Ulta chor kotwal ko dante - the pot calling the kettle black?
- भार्गव (bhārgav)
- ganarajya = gana + raj ? Yes/No ?
- kya baat hai - very common exclamation uttered by listeners at concerts of Hindustani classical music
- gota - refers to lentils such as masoor dal without skins
- भण्टा (bhaṇṭā)
- फ़िराक़ (firāq)
- ठग्गी (tuggee)
- chulha - a cooking stove
- फिल्मी (philmī)
- दुगला (duglā)
- ओलम (olam) - alphabet?
- अजवाइन (ajvāin) - ajwain
- करैत (karait)