Wiktionary:Requested entries (Hindi)
Have an entry request? Add it to the list. - But please:
- Think twice before adding long lists of words as they may be ignored.
- If possible provide context, usage, field of relevance, etc.
Please remove entries from this list once they have been written (i.e. the link is “live”, shown in blue, and has a section for the correct language)
There are a few things you can do to help:
- Add glosses or brief definitions.
- Add the part of speech, preferably using a standardized template.
- If you know what a word means, consider creating the entry yourself instead of using this request page.
- Please indicate the gender(s) .
- If you see inflected forms (plurals, past tenses, superlatives, etc) indicate the base form (singular, infinitive, absolute, etc) of the requested term and the type of inflection used in the request.
- For words which are listed here only in their romanized form, please add the correct form in Devanagari script.
- Don’t delete words just because you don’t know them — it may be that they are used only in certain contexts or are archaic or obsolete.
- Don’t simply replace words with what you believe is the correct form. The form here may be rare or regional. Instead add the standard form and comment that the requested form seems to be an error in your experience.
Family relation names
- जमीकन्द (jamīkand) (jamīkanda) -- yam
- जाता (jātā)
- जुगलबंधी (jugalbandhī) - jugalbandhi (conjoined twins, duo musical performance)
- जमना (jamnā) - (jamnā) verb, intransitive -- to freeze
- झयजय (jhayajay) -- cheers
- तान (tān) - has Sanskrit, doesn't have Hindi
- तेजपत्ता (tejpattā) - a tree similar to cinnamon
- तिथि (tithi) (tithi) nf., (lunar) day —Strabismus (talk) 03:09, 8 October 2012 (UTC)
- तबला (tablā) (tablā) nm., a tabla, kind of drum
- तानपूरा (tānpūrā)
- तीन ताल (tīn tāl)
- तबला तरंग (tablā taraṅg) - a set of tabla drums, played melodically
- दिनों (dinõ) (dinoṁ) npl., days —Strabismus (talk) 03:12, 8 October 2012 (UTC)
- द्रुत (drut) - drut
Divisha - Divine wish
- बागर (bāgar) (bāgar) nm., dike
- बकरा (bakrā) (bakrā) nm., (billy-)goat
- बकरी (bakrī) (bakrī) nf., (nanny-)goat
- बीन (bīn) - a musical instrument
- बीड़ी (bīṛī) (bīṛī) nf., plug of tobacco
- बुड्ढा (buḍḍhā) (buḍḍhā) nm., old man, "geezer" —Strabismus (talk) 03:20, 8 October 2012 (UTC)
- मज़ेदार (mazedār) -- yummy
- मधुर (madhur) -- (has Sanskrit, needs Hindi) delicious, sweet
- मयंक (mayaṅk) - mayank
- महफिल (mahphil) - mehfil
- मूँह (mū̃h) noun, m. (mū̃h) -- mouth
- मूस (mūs) (mūs) nm., mouse —Strabismus (talk) 03:22, 8 October 2012 (UTC)
- मोरचंग (morcaṅg) - Jew's harp (check spelling)
- मींड (mīṇḍ)
- रमणीय (ramṇīya) -- delicious
- राहुल (rāhul) (rāhul) nmpr., Rahul
- रानी (rānī) (rānī) nf., queen
- रागमाला (rāgmālā) (rāgmālā) nm., collection of ragas —Strabismus (talk) 03:30, 8 October 2012 (UTC)
- रा (rā)
- लहरा or लहर - is this the correct spelling for the repeating melody used during tabla solos in Hindustani music? Apparently it literally means "wave."
- सुस्वादु (susvādu) -- delicious
- सुस्वाद (susvād) -- delicious
- सूखा बेर (sūkhā ber) (sūkhā ber) -- prune
- सेन (sen) - a Bengali surname
- संध्या (sandhyā) - evening
- समायोजित (samāyojit) (samājoyit) adj., adjusted —Strabismus (talk) 03:33, 8 October 2012 (UTC)
- सुर बहार (sur bahār)
- ज़फ़र (zafar) - victory, profit, gain
- chāhiye -- same as "chāhie"?
- chāhie -- form of [चाहना] (Mujhko ... chāhie = I want)?
- dījiye -- imperative form of देना?
- mosambi -- sweet lime, a fruit
- ganga jamuna -- a drink made from orange and mosambi
- chickoo, chikoo, चिक्कू, chiku, or चीकू
- kachori -- a street food snack
- भार्गव (bhārgav)
- ganarajya = gana + raj ? Yes/No ?
- kya baat hai - very common exclamation uttered by listeners at concerts of Hindustani classical music
- bas - I removed the Hindi from bas as Hindi does not use the Latin script. Mglovesfun (talk) 11:23, 24 March 2010 (UTC)
- gota - refers to lentils such as masoor dal without skins
- भण्टा (bhaṇṭā)
- निवेदन (nivedan)
- फ़िराक़ (firāq)
- ठग्गी (tuggee)