Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
appliance (plural appliances)
- The act of applying; application.
- An implement, an instrument or apparatus designed (or at least used) as a means to a specific end (often specified).
- Specifically: A non-manual apparatus or device, powered electrically or by another small motor, used in homes to perform domestic functions (household appliance) and/or in offices.
- An attachment, some equipment (or - piece) to adapt another tool or machine to such specific purpose
- When the boy hid father's feared cane, his bum soon found out the hard way how many sturdy appliances at home can double as perfectly painful spanking appliance
- (obsolete) A compliance
Derived terms 
act of applying; application
a device in its own right
an implement, instrument or apparatus
- Webster's Seventh New Collegiate Dictionary, Springfield, Massachusetts, G.&C. Merriam Co., 1967