Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
"Cutter & Sons, Butchers"
aptonym (plural aptonyms)
- A proper name that aptly describes the occupation or character of the person, especially by coincidence.
1992, Frank H. Nuessel, The study of names: a guide to the principles and topics, page 42:
- The following is a selected list of aptonyms, i.e., people whose names and occupations or situation (e.g., workplace) have a close correspondence
2004, Christine Scodari, Serial monogamy: soap opera, lifespan, and the gendered politics of fantasy, page 96:
- New aptonyms appeared for both Matt and Donna at this juncture — "DoorMatt" and "Donnasaur."
2005, Maurice Charney, Comedy: A Geographic and Historical Guide, volume 1, page 201:
- Stocked with characters whose names are representative of their failings (aptonyms, a standard comic technique), The Stepsure Letters is not read today outside the university classroom
- (apt name): aptronym, attributive name, characterizing name, character-revealing name, charactonym, characternym, label name, ticket name, type name