Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
flame tree (plural flame trees)
- (botany) Any one of several trees or shrubs with yellow or bright red flowers.
- The people had stared in awe at the magnificently colored flame tree.
- 1919, Charles Francis Saunders, With the Flowers and Trees in California, R.M. McBride & Co., 47:
- ... its scarlet-flowered cousin the maple leaved Sterculia, or Australian flame-tree, which we grow in California for ornament, too, is a tough waterproof fiber a couple of inches thick, that is good material for cordage and mats.
- “flame tree” in Dictionary.com Unabridged, v1.0.1, Lexico Publishing Group, 2006.