Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- A tropical American tree, Maclura tinctoria, whose wood produces a yellow dye.
- A European tree, Eurasian smoketree, Cotinus coggygria, whose wood produces an orange dye.
- The wood of these trees.
- A yellow dye obtained from the wood of these trees.
- (American tree): old fustic, fustoc
- (European tree): young fustic, fustet, Venice sumac, Eurasian smoke tree
- 1719, Daniel Defoe, Robinson Crusoe
- ...nor can I tell to this day what wood to call the tree we cut down, except that it was very like the tree we call fustic, or between that and the Nicaragua wood, for it was much of the same colour and smell.