Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Compare French génératif.
- Having the power of generating, propagating, originating, or producing.
- That generative particle. — Bentley
- 1988, Andrew Radford, Transformational grammar: a first course, Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, page 127:
- Of course, structures like those associated with (36) and (37) constitute only a tiny subset of the infinite set of well-formed sentence structures found in English. We can increase the Generative Capacity of our grammar ( = the set of structures which it generates) either by expanding the Lexicon on the one hand, or by expanding the Categorial Rules (i.e. Phrase Structure Rules) on the other.
- Feminine plural form of generativo