Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈhɑɹmləs/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈhɑːmləs/
Audio (US) (file)
- Incapable of causing harm or danger.
- Not intended to harm; inoffensive.
1922, Ben Travers, chapter 5, A Cuckoo in the Nest:
- The most rapid and most seductive transition in all human nature is that which attends the palliation of a ravenous appetite. […] Can those harmless but refined fellow-diners be the selfish cads whose gluttony and personal appearance so raised your contemptuous wrath on your arrival?
incapable of causing harm or danger