Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (RP) IPA: /hɪˈɡɛm.ə.ni/, /hɪˈdʒəm.ə.ni/
- (US) IPA: /həˈdʒɛm.ə.ni/, /ˈhɛdʒ.(ə).moʊ.ni/
Audio (US) (file)
hegemony (plural hegemonies)
- (formal) Domination, influence, or authority over another, especially by one political group over a society or by one nation over others.
- Dominance of one social group over another, such that the ruling group or hegemon acquires some degree of consent from the subordinate, as opposed to dominance purely by force.
- ie: internationally among nation-states, and regionally over social classes, between languages or even culture.
- eg: The two political parties battled viciously for hegemony.
Derived terms 
Related terms 
domination, influence, or authority over another