Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (Can we verify(+) this sense?) Presented as a way of welcoming someone to a home into which he or she recently moved.
- A house warming gift.
- (idiomatic) A party to celebrate moving into a new home.
- (Can we verify(+) this sense?) The act of welcoming a person/family to their newly purchased or newly rented home.
2004, Jacob M Appel, “Gadney's Immunity”, Southwest Review, volume 89, number 4, page 580:
- They had their first argument on the evening Gadney moved in, their housewarming spat, he later called it.
2011, John Kinsella, The Offering:
- Fortunately, Dave had left them a packet of rollie tobacco and papers for a housewarming