Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- The drift of a ship or airplane in a leeward direction.
- A varying degree or amount of freedom or flexibility; margin, latitude, elbowroom.
- I don't think we have a lot of leeway when it comes to proper formatting.
- 2005, James Gosling et al., The Java Language Specification, Third Edition, Prentice Hall PTR, ISBN 0321246780, section 15.4 “FP-strict Expressions”,
- Within an expression that is not […] -strict, some leeway is granted for an implementation to use an extended exponent range to represent intermediate results;
- (UK) An adverse discrepancy or variation in a cumulative process, usually in make up leeway.
Related terms 
drift of a ship or airplane in a leeward direction