Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
patriarchate (plural patriarchates)
- (Christianity) The term of office of a Christian patriarch.
- The patriarchate of Pope John Paul II as Patriarch of the West was more than 25 years.
- The office or ecclesial jurisdiction of such a patriarch.
- The Patriarchate of Constantinople has primacy over the whole of the Orthodox world.
- The office-space occupied by a patriarch and his staff.
- The Latin patriarchate in Jerusalem is, by modern standards, a very cramped space.
(political science, politics): This term would describe a kind of polity.