Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- A card that can have holes or notches cut in it, especially one for storing data, that can be sorted according to combinations of holes present or absent.
- (computing) Such a card, the size of a US dollar bill, having 80 columns of 12 rows used in early mainframe computers.
- A card given to a customer and punched with a hole at each purchase, allowing a reward to be claimed when fully punched.
card with have holes or notches used for storing data
- Sometimes the blank card was called a punch card, and became a punched card only after holes had been punched in it.
- Also see punched tape and paper tape