Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (British, Canadian) reconnoitre
From French reconnoître (obsolete spelling of reconnaître), from Latin recognoscere (“to recognize”). Contrarily, there is also an obsolete 19th-century British English spelling reconnaitre (now reconnoitre).
- (RP) IPA(key): /ˌɹɛkəˈnɔɪtə/, [ˌɹʷɛkəˈnɔɪ̯tʰə]
- (US) IPA(key): /ˌɹɛkəˈnɔɪtɚ/, [ˌɹˠɛkəˈnɔɪ̯ɾɚ]
Audio (US) (file)
- (transitive, intransitive, military) To perform a reconnaissance (of an area; an enemy position); to scout with the aim of gaining information.
- Our scout will reconnoiter the path ahead of our troops.
perform a reconnaissance
reconnoiter (plural reconnoiters)
- An act or instance of reconnoitering.
- The pilot reported the findings of his reconnoiter.
instance of reconnoitering