From salad + dodger, the idea being that such a person avoids salads in favour of unhealthy or fattening foods.
salad dodger (plural salad dodgers)
- (informal, derogatory) An overweight person.
- 2011, Jordan Gray, Submerged: A Blackpool Mystery, Harlequin, ISBN 978-0-373-83753-3, page 205:
- And then some salad dodger on the construction crew stuck his gut in the way trying to make peace.
- (informal) One who does not normally eat salad.
- 2006, Danna Korn, Living Gluten-Free For Dummies, Wiley Publishing, ISBN 978-0-471-77383-2, page 93:
- Whether you’re a salad-dodger or suffering from orthorexia (an extreme desire to eat only health foods), eating gluten-free nutritiously is simple but not plain.
one who does not normally eat salad