Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
statute (plural statutes)
- Written law, as laid down by the legislature.
- (law) (Common law) Legislated rule of society which has been given the force of law by those it governs.
(Common law) Legislated rule of society which has been given the force of law
Written 'law', as laid down by the legislature
- statute in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- statute in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
- vocative masculine singular of statūtus