Jump to navigation Jump to search
परिवृत् • (parivṛt)
- Ā. -vartate ( ep. also °ti) ind. p. -vṛtya, or parī-vartam ), to turn round, revolve, move in a circle or to and fro, roll or wheel or wander about, circumambulate ( acc. ) RV. etc.
- ( with hṛdi or hṛdaye ) to run in a person's mind MBh.
- to return, go or come back to ( acc. ) ib.
- to be reborn in ( loc. ) VP.
- (also with anyathā ) to change, turn out different MBh. Kāv
- to abide, stay, remain Mn. MBh. etc.
- to act, proceed, behave R. : Caus. -vartayati, to cause to turn or move round or back or to and fro MBh. Kāv. etc.
- ( Ā. ) to roll or bring near ( Subj. -vartayāte ) RV. v, 37 , 3
- to overthrow, upset ( a carriage ) Hariv.
- to invert, put in a reverse order Mṛcch. v, 9/10 ( read -vartya for -vṛtya )
- to change, barter, exchange MBh. Hariv. etc.
- to renew ( an agreement ) Mn. viii, 154 etc.
- to understand or explain wrongly ( words etc. ) MBh. Kāv
- to turn topsy-turvy i.e. search thoroughly R.
- to destroy, annihilate ib.
- to straiten, contract Car.
- ( Ā. ) to cause one's self to be turned round ( in having one's head shaved all round ) TBr. ŚBr. ( cf. -vartana ) : Intens. -vávartti, to turn ( intrans. ) continually RV. i, 164, 11