Appendix:Australian English geographic terms
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- beyond the black stump, back of Bourke or Woop-Woop ((Australia) wʊp.wʊp) - a generic far-off place or area in the countryside far from a town or city; similar to the sticks, Timbuktu or Waikikamukau; Woop Woop is used particularly for any small unimportant town
- billabong - an ox-bow river or watering hole
- bush - the hinterland, the Outback, anywhere that isn't in town
- within cooee - nearby, nearly, close to; hence not within cooee - a long way away, far off, not close to; also used figuratively, for example "England weren't within cooee of beating Australia at cricket."
- O.S. - overseas
- Outback or Never Never - interior/centre of Australia