Appendix:Glossary of Farscape terms
Terminology from the Farscape universe. Most words are needed to name things not known to humans, but the terminology also comes in handy to use rough language without actually using it. The words 'dren' and 'frell' are used so liberally that their meaning soon becomes clear. Another set of words are measurements, which often sound very similar to equivalent human measurements.
- An interval of time slightly longer than one Earth hour.
- A generic obscenity used by Chianna on occasion, possibly equivalent to 'hell'.
- A form of currency possibly equivalent to a Credit.
- A close equivalent to "bull shit".
- A massive, spacefaring fish-like creature that eats spaceships, believed extinct until the episode "Green-Eyed Monster". Budong corpses are often mined for mineral deposits, though fatalities are common, due to the particular physiology of the Budong, which creates pockets of acid which can be easily ruptured by accident.
- A dense and highly volatile compound derived from the Tannot Root. It is the power supply/ammo of Farscape Pulse weapons, such as those used by Peacekeeper (Farscape)|Peacekeepers .
- A Peacekeeper (Farscape)|Peacekeeper device that is used to subdue captured Leviathan (Farscape)|Leviathans. They override most key systems making the Leviathan unable to Starburst (Farscape)|Starburst or even navigate against the Peacekeepers' wishes. It can also be used to inflict pain in order to torture rebellious Leviathans into obeying Peacekeeper orders. Other species, in particular the Nebari, utilize similar human-sized collars to control prisoners during transport.
- The most general term for currency in the universe.
- The Scarran form of currency.
- The official Peacekeeper currency, believed to be the equivalent of a post-dated cheque; a financial promise. At one point the Peacekeeper bounty on John Crichton was reported to be an unprecedented 15 million currency pledges.
- An interval of time roughly equivalent to 1 Earth year.
- A unit of length roughly equivalent to 1 inch.
- A small larva-like creature that is used for dental hygiene. They feed off excess bacteria and food remains in the mouth and excrete a fresh "minty" flavour while they work. The creature itself has an extremely repulsive taste, ensuring that they don't get eaten after completing a cleaning session.
- Title given to the rulers of the Hynerian Empire. Examples include Dominar Rygel XVI and his cousin Dominar Bishan.
DRDs|Diagnostic Repair Drone (DRD)
- A freely-mobile robotic device about the size of a small canine that performs various maintenance functions aboard a Leviathan.
- A vile, noisome, or uncouth creature
- rad, cool
- most rad, coolest
- piece of shit
- crazy; insane; demented
- stupid waif; naive fool; dipshit, arse
- A popular drink, similar to beer
- A form of currency used in the Uncharted Territories (cf: German Pfennig).
- A plant that blooms on Delvia
- Produced by the Peacekeepers, it is food in the form of a small cube containing all of the nutrients needed to sustain Sebaceans, and are often used as food rations in the absence of more tasty fare.
- fuck; sometimes a combination of "fuck" and "hell". The word has both senses of the word 'fuck', as is exemplified in the episode 'Meltdown', when, while John and Aeryn are getting frisky, a bang is heard, followed by the following short conversation: "Frell." "Yeah." "No, bad frell."
- Nebari word for a daft, foolish, or inexperienced person.
- Hynerian/Possibly Universal word for the female sexual organ.
- starboard (the right-hand side of a Leviathan (Farscape)|Leviathan ship when facing forward)
- extremely offensive curse word, making other curse words pale in comparison. The exact meaning is intentionally vague, as a joke. In context, it seems to be a noun for someone who performs an utterly disgusting sex act, i.e. "You dare call me a harpooda?!" "Yes, and I suspect, not a very good one".
- bitch; "son of a hazmot"
- A unit of length roughly equivalent to 1 centimetre.
- The universal unit for spacecraft speed used in Farscape. No reference is ever given to exactly how fast a hetch is, but it can be used to compare the speed of different crafts. For example, a Marauder (Farscape)|Marauder has a top speed of hetch 7, while Moya (Farscape)|Moya can achieve hetch 9 on a good day. Early in the show when Moya is weakened by the brutal removal of her control collar she only manages hetch 2 by comparison. Hints throughout the series have indicated that a hetch is some degree faster than the speed of light, such as during season 4, when John returns to Earth he tells D.K that it is FTL (faster than light). This would make a great deal of sense, since all other race's ships, such as the Peacekeeper Command Carrier, lack starburst ability, and without FTL a galactic civilisation would be impossible (it would also be impossible for them to even consider catching Moya in their lifetimes if they had no FTL, given Moya's ability to starburst).
- A Luxan state of mind marked by extreme violence, memory loss, and blackouts. Very similar to berserker rage.
- Hell (Luxan term)
- Hynerian airway seizure caused by very strong emotion
- A Scarran unit of energy. At high levels, the energy can be harmful. For example, Kalvo Ten can kill a person.
- A system used to measure levels of energy. The Kelvoy Levels are used by Sebaceans and are similar to the Scarran Kalvo.
- The universal unit for temperature. For example, a budong's stomach is an inferno; it burns at 5000 klances.
- A form of currency in the Uncharted Territories, more widely used than the Fennik.
- A unit of weight or volume. For example, it is used to measure chromextin, a drug that was used to heal Talyn.
- A sentient, space-faring creature that can be accommodated for smaller, human-sized creatures to live in and travel within, usually through the aid of creatures called 'Pilots' whose species title is unknown. Peacekeepers additionally use control collars, such as on Moya (Farscape)|Moya, the living ship within the main characters of the series travel.
- A unit of volume that may be close in size to a liter.
- A unit of length roughly equivalent to 1 kilometer. Although no confirmation has been given to this length
- A length of time just over a minute.
- A length of time equivalent to 1 and 1/3 Earth seconds.
- A unit of length roughly equivalent to a mile.
- testicles; gonads; a universal colloquialism
- A unit of length equal to 1/1000 of a metra, synonym for 'metre'. Equivalent to one centimeter.
- A very short amount of time; a small fraction of a second.
- A child (slang)
- During the Peacekeeper Wars, Chiana called Aeryn's child a Narl.
- girl or young woman (universal) (unconfirmed) (Mohan Seeing Chiana) "Sweet nixa. Let's mark her" ("Taking the Stone" Season 2, Episode 3) (Paroos says to Chiana) "perhaps I like a nixa like you" ("A Perfect Murder" Season 4, episode 9)
- A unit of length roughly equivalent to 2 miles.(unconfirmed)
- A peacekeeper sidearm firing bolts of undefined energy. A longarm pulse rifle is also available.
- A traditional Luxan sword, which can then be converted to a Qualta rifle by moving a few pieces. When he's not actually using it, D'Argo carries his Qualta Blade strapped to his back for quick access. It's a little over three feet long and is perfectly balanced. It once belonged to D'Argo's grandfather who used it during the siege of Reqmek. It was the only thing that D'Argo had that his new ship would accept as the key to shut down its self destruct sequence. See episodes: Throne for a Loss; Revenging Angel
- A strong alcoholic beverage. Similar to hard liquor.
Rantath Flux Variance
- A type of radiation emitted by unstable wormholes. Causes tissue liquification.
- A unit of length roughly equivalent to a foot (unit of length)|foot.
- Supposed combination that means shit head or stupid fuck.
- To relieve oneself of a bowel movement.
- To borrow or take without permission.
- Equivalent to one day
- A turnip-like plant that can grow in most ecosystems. When it is consumed by most sapient species, it induces a euphoric state similar to Cannabis (Drug)|cannabis. However, when it is processed and mixed with the right chemicals (like in the digestive tract of a Hynerian), it becomes Chakan Oil.
- an unintelligent person; a dimwit
- The universal unit for power. 250 Trads is the equivalent to a Transport Pod's power capacity.
- These microbes when injected into a person's bloodstream will make their way to the brain and colonize, forming a symbiotic relationship with the host. Translator microbes re-wire the brain so that an "infected" person can instantly understand almost all forms of verbal communication. They are similar to the universal translator from Star Trek; the babel fish from Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy. Can be customised for certain languages.
- name of an alien race. Utu-Noranti Pralatong is a Traskan.
- Port (nautical)|port (the left-hand side of a Leviathan (Farscape)|Leviathan ship when facing forward)
- An interval of time roughly equivalent to 1 Earth week.
- Device allowing a shortcut past enemy defenses and a means to destroy ships, planets, etc.
- An all purpose swear word (most likely "damn", "shit" or "hell") (e.g. Rygel is constantly saying "what the yotz" or "you stupid yotz", also used in 'boll yotz'), probably Hynerian.
- An exclamation of pleasurable surprise equivalent to "hot-damn" or "holy shit".
- Another unit of length. The Flax is 75 billion Zacrons long.
- Another curse along the Earth English translation of the curse fuck (e.g: "Zarking asteroid! It nearly hit us!" See above, Frell).
- testicles, balls