Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
English citations of 42
Noun: "the answer to life"
|1980||2006 2007 2008 2011|
|ME «||15th c.||16th c.||17th c.||18th c.||19th c.||20th c.||21st c.|
- 1980 —Mark Gorton, "The hitch-hiker's guide to the galaxy", published in New Scientist p. 415
- Hmmm, if The Answer is 42, then maybe The Ultimate Question is: "How many version of the the Guide were generated when the digital writing machine (with which author Douglas Adams readily admits collaboration) went completely out of control?"
- 2006 —Alan Lucas, Hugh A. Sampson, Primary prevention by nutrition intervention in infancy and childhood, p. 254
- What I see in the -omics field, in some way including what you said, is that there is promise that if we measure everything we are going to have an answer, and the answer is 42 for those of you who haven't read the book.
- 2007 —Adrian Mackay, Recruiting, Retaining and Releasing People: Managing Redeployment, Return, Retirement and Redundancy, p. 244
- The history of mankind has always been about the search of some answer to the meaning to life — The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy enthusiasts know the answer is 42 — but today we are looking for ‘meaning’ in the workplace.
- 2008 — Jon Rasmussen, Dreaming Your World Into Being: The Shaman's Secrets to Having the Life You Desire Now, p. 72
- So here it is, the answer is 42... told you that you wouldn't like it. No, that was the computer's answer; my answer is joy, fun, feeling good.
- 2011 — Allen Wyatt, Cleaning Windows XP For Dummies
- I get a bit tired of people who tell me that the answer to life, the universe, and everything is to get hardware. (In reality, the answer is 42.)