Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
English citations of caligynephobia
Noun: "the fear of beautiful women"
|2005 2008 2009|
|ME «||15th c.||16th c.||17th c.||18th c.||19th c.||20th c.||21st c.|
- 2005, Dandi Daley Mackall, Love Rules, Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., ISBN 9780842387279, page 27:
- [...] He looks over at me. “Whoa! Nice hair.” ¶ I pull down the visor and try not to laugh. My hair looks like I’ve stuck my finger in an electrical outlet. “Jake Jackson, you must get over your caligynephobia.” ¶ Jake raises his eyebrows. ¶ “Fear of beautiful women.” ¶ “I’m planning on working hard on that one in California. [...]”
- 2005, Andrew N. Williams, Are You Crazy?: 18 Scientific Quizzes to Test Yourself, Berkley (2005), ISBN 9781101203217, unnumbered page:
- Isn't it odd that we can develop caligynephobia (fear of beautiful women)?
- 2008, Patricia Daniels Cornwell, Scarpetta, Penguin Group, ISBN 9780399155161, page 7:
- “[...] We hoped he’d calm down, agree to let a local ME take care of him. Never going to happen. He’s more adamant than ever. Says he’s terrified of doctors. Has odenyphobia, dishabiliophobia.” ¶ “He’s afraid of pain and taking his clothes off?” ¶ “And caligynephobia. Fear of beautiful women.” ¶ “I see. So that’s why he’d feel safe with me.” ¶ “That part was supposed to be funny. He thinks you’re beautiful and he’s definitely not afraid of you. I’m the one who should be afraid.”
- 2008, Mick Power & Tim Dalglesih, Cognition and Emotion: From Order to Disorder, Psychology Press (2008), ISBN 9780415373531, page 54:
- In contrast, if we consider the example of somebody who has a fear of beautiful women (caligynephobia!), then it does not seem outrageous to argue that this fear of beautiful women is somehow an inappropriate emotional reaction or even an emotional disorder.
- 2009, Adele Parks, Love Lies, Headline Publishing Group (2009), ISBN 9780755394616, unnumbered page:
- But I never seriously considered funding a party where all the guests were supermodels— something the Institute of Caligynephobia (fear of beautiful women) assured me was vital as part of their recovery programme.
- 2009, Talmer Shockley, The Love-Shy Survival Guide, Jessica Kingsley Publishers (2009), ISBN 9781843108979, page 19:
- Loveshyness is certainly not gynophobia, a fear of women in general, nor is it caligynephobia, a fear of beautiful women.