Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
2010 May 31, Nancy, “How to deal with being racist”, in Sick Sad World, retrieved 2012-09-18:
- Don't mansplain, whitesplain, straightsplain, cissplain, etc. Respect people’s right to self-define.
2010 November 4, Grey, Garland, quoting a letter, “Grey Areas: Sad, Mopey Post Election Edition”, in Tiger Beatdown, retrieved 2012-09-18:
- But still, I get frustrated when cis people try to cissplain to me basic things about gender and transness that I already know, or ignore repeated requests to call me a “trans woman” rather than a “male-to-female transsexual”, or tell me that they “understand” what it must be like for me because this one time in school somebody called them a member of the opposite sex and that made them cry, or whatever.
2011 January 7, fireofanger, “Textbook cissexism!”, in Anger Is Justified, retrieved 2012-09-18:
- No. It’s not. Quit trying to cissplain at me. And don’t laugh at my need not to be known as my assigned sex.
2012 February 3, Reed, Natalie, “How To Ask A Trans Person Questions Without Being Insensitive About It”, in Sincerely, Natalie Reed, retrieved 2012-09-18:
- Don’t ask us about transgenderism only to cissplain how we’re still “really” our birth sex and always will be.
- 2015, Meghan Daum, "Remember political correctness? It's back, frothing at the mouth and at hurricane force", Los Angeles Times, 2 February 2015:
- A few weeks ago, when I wrote a column about the suicide of a transgender teenager, I was pilloried on Twitter for "cisplaining."
- 2015, Stephanie Mott, "Trans-Formative: Cisplaining, Mind-Reading, and Other Mystic Powers of Anti-Trans Experts", Liberty Press, Volume 31, Number 8, April 2015, page 21:
- The ones who cisplain often say that a person's gender is defined by their biological birth sex.