Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
English citations of cousin-aunt
Noun: "one's parent's female first cousin"
|1855||1950 1956 1976 1994||2003 2004 2008 2009 2011|
|ME «||15th c.||16th c.||17th c.||18th c.||19th c.||20th c.||21st c.|
1855 March 29, “Struggles in Life”, The Leisure Hour, volume 4, number 170, page 195:
- This and a great deal more Miss Filmer might have said if she had wished to widen the breach between little Ellen and her cousin-aunt; […]
1950, Savitri Devi Nanda, The City of Two Gateways: The Autobiography of an Indian Girl, G. Allen & Unwin:
- It was not only the case with my uncle, aunt and grandmother but also with my cousin-aunts, they showed me tenderness and love beyond a niece's desert and took me out with them for drives to their orchards or baths; […]
1956, Hallam Tennyson, The Dark Goddess, Vallentine, page 43:
- Asha suffered an influx of cousin brothers-in-law, cousin aunts, and just plain cousins up from Midnapore to sponge.
1976, Agnes Smedley, Daughter of Earth, The Feminist Press, page 214:
- It had been nearly fifteen years since I had seen my cousin-aunt, Mildred, just my age, and then she was a bad, spoiled little girl.
1994, Hans Kasdorf, “Becoming a Missiologist of the Road: Personal Recollections and Reflections”, Mission Focus, volume 2, page 159:
- Shortly thereafter, as Providence would have it, I received a letter from my cousin-aunt, Katherine Nickel, author, artist and teacher in Reedley, California.
2003, Nargis, Daddy: A Bouquet of Memories, Minerva Press, ISBN 9788176622318:
- She was his godmother and another one of my innumerable cousin aunts, who lived with us.
2008, Di Brandt, “My Breasts Had Become Eyes”, in Shannon Cowan, Fiona Tinwei Lam, & Cathy Stonehouse editors, Double Lives: Writing and Motherhood, McGill-Queen's University Press, ISBN 9780773533776, page 53:
- I grew up in a traditionalist Mennonite farming village in southern Manitoba, surrounded by other villages, filled with dozens and dozens of boisterous, cheerful, eccentric aunts and uncles, cousins, second-cousins, third-cousins, cousin-aunts, cousin-uncles, […]
2009, David Manners, In the Shadow of Crows, Reportage Press, ISBN 9781906702069:
- They never seemed to tire of our annual arrival, nor we of the joyful embraces from cousin-brothers and cousin-sisters, the affectionate ahashis from cousin-uncles and cousin-aunts.
2011, Rosalinda Swaim, Rosa's Vision and the World of Revelation, Dorrance Publishing Co., Inc., ISBN 9781434908933:
- And then the next day her cousin aunt tries to help her to look for a job, for her.