Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
English citations of garner
- c. 1897, w:Xenophon, w:Hellenica, page 257, translation by H. G. Dakyns, Macmillan and Co., 1897, original work c. 355 BC.
- ... setting the towers and all ablaze, bringing up sheaves of corn and grass — an ample harvesting, as luck would have it, garnered off the citadel itself
- 1953, Maksim Gorky, Autobiography of Maxim Gorky: My Childhood. In the World. My Universities, page 231
- I picked another pair and garnered four more kopecks. But there my luck ran out, and I lost my next three bets.
- 1996, Daphne Marlatt, Taken, page 84
- ... she garnered compliments on her daughter's mass of Shirley Temple curls.
- 2005, Emily Baker, Luck of the Devil, page 102
- Too few coins on the table made the game look staged, too many at stake garnered too much attention from the other patrons.
- 2006, Gabrielle Langdon, Medici Women: Portraits of Power, Love, and Betrayal from the Court of Duke ..., page 10
- ... vivacious daughter-in-law, whose beauty garnered admirers and led her psychotic Medici husband to kill her;