Jump to navigation Jump to search
English citations of moronization
- 1923, Management Engineering, Volume 4 (published by the Ronald Press Company), page 241:
- And, further, they could see nothing but harm from speeding up a man to produce ; nothing but degeneracy in lowering a man to the level of an automaton ; nothing but race-suicide in the pauperization and moronization of masses. So long as ill-applied scientific management seemed to lead toward these ends, the antagonism of the workers blinded them to the mighty boons derivable from the application of scientific methods to the orderly upbuilding of society.
- 1965, "Repressive Tolerance" by Herbert Marcuse (in A Critique of Pure Tolerance):
- Tolerance toward that which is radically evil now appears as good because it serves the cohesion of the whole on the road to affluence or more affluence. The toleration of the systematic moronization of children and adults alike by publicity and propaganda, the release of destructiveness in aggressive driving, the recruitment for and training of special forces, the impotent and benevolent tolerance toward outright deception in merchandizing, waste, and planned obsolescence are not distortions and aberrations, they are the essence of a system which fosters tolerance as a means for perpetuating the struggle for existence and suppressing the alternatives. The authorities in education, morals, and psychology are vociferous against the increase in juvenile delinquency; they are less vociferous against the proud presentation, in word and deed and pictures, of ever more powerful missiles, rockets, bombs--the mature delinquency of a whole civilization.
- 2005, Interrogation Machine: Laibach and NSK by Alexei Monroe (published by MIT Press), page 234:
- The system of rock 'n' roll moronization by means of TV programs like MTV lowers the intelligence level of its devotees below the indispensable level of sound judgment. To those with more distance MTV is of course nothing but chewing gum for the eyes, and Maiken Wexo91 stretches it for us with great dexterity.