Jump to navigation Jump to search
English citations of shapesmith and shape-smith
- 1715, Samuel Garth, Claremont:
- Not yet broad eye-brows were redue'd by paste; / No shape-smith set up shop, and drove a trade / To mend the work wise Providence had made [...].
person that helps an individual improve their physical shape or fitness; a personal trainer or gym instructor
- 1809, Elizabeth Thomas, Monte Video: or, The officer's wife and her sister, volume 1, page 215:
- ... there is no man less attentive to them than I am; I have never put this delectable person of mine under a shape-smith
- 1916, Arthur Gilchrist Brodeur, The Prose Edda: Or, Younger Edda, translation of original by Snorri Sturluson, page 156:
- He answered thus: 'Skalds do call me Vidurr's Shape-Smith, Gautr's Gift-Finder, Bard not faulty, Yggr's Ale-Bearer, Song's Arrayer, Skilled Smith of Verse: What is the Skald but this?'