Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
English citations of spell
Verb: "to speak, to declaim"
- 1590, Edmund Spenser, The Faerie Queene, I.ii:
- O who can tell / The hidden power of herbes, and might of Magicke spell?
Verb: "to read letter by letter"
- 1851, Herman Melville, Moby-Dick:
- "He'll do," said Bildad, eyeing me, and then went on spelling away at his book in a mumbling tone quite audible.
Verb: "to clarify"
- 2003, U.S. Senator Ben Nighthorse Campbel, Hearing before the Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation, ISBN 1422334120:
- When we get elected, for instance, we get one of these, and we are pretty much told what is in it, and it is our responsibility to read it and understand it, and if we do not, the Ethics Committee, we can call them any time of day and ask them to spell it out for us[...].