Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
English citations of whitesplain
2010 February 3, “The Art of Mansplaining”, Fannie's Room, accessed on 2012-05-26:
- And so this instance, was also a classic case of whitesplaining, whereby a white person whitesplains how a person of color is "wrong" about something being racist against people of color.
2010 May 31, Nancy, “How to deal with being racist”, Sick Sad World, accessed on 2012-09-18:
- Don't mansplain, whitesplain, straightsplain, cissplain, etc. Respect people’s right to self-define.
2013 April 16, Page, Clarence quoting Urban Dictionary, “Rand Paul ‘whitesplaining’ for Howard students”, New Haven Register:
- Rand Paul whitesplained to students at Howard University that a black Republican founded the NAACP.
2013 1 September, Hell Stomper, “Here’s The 5 Dumbest Things Said About Race On The 50th Anniversary Of Dr. King’s Speech”, alt.fan.rush-limbaugh, Usenet:
- 4. Jimmy Carter whitesplaining how Dr. King would react to Voter ID laws
2013 November 26, Joan Walsh, “What to get Rush Limbaugh for Christmas”, Salon, accessed on 2014-03-08:
- Oh, hey, Jonah Goldberg and Elisabeth Hasselbeck and Rush Limbaugh, and all you right-wingers trying to whitesplain racism to Oprah Winfrey: The finale of “The African Americans: Many Rivers to Cross” is on PBS tonight and I’m sure you won’t want to miss it.
2014 February 17, Goldberg, Michelle, “Feminism's Toxic Twitter Wars”, The Nation:
- One self-described white feminist tweeted at her to explain that no women of color had been at the Barnard meeting "and that I needed to be educated about that," Wilson recalls. Somehow, activists who prided themselves on their racial enlightenment "were whitesplaining me about racism," she adds, laughing.
- 2014, David Meadow, "Theater with a Kick", The Indypendent, Issue 194, 25 February 2014 - 24 March 2014, page 17:
- Meanwhile, Clifton Duncan, a black actor, logs significant time as white screen legend James Coburn (who studied kung fu with Lee), and this includes a deliciously absurd moment where Coburn “whitesplains” Hollywood Orientalism to his teacher.
- 2014, Justin Baragona, "Paul Ryan claims Black men are lazy and cause of poverty", New York Beacon, Volume 21, Number 12, 20 March 2014 - 26 March 2014, page 4:
- Obviously, the answer for those living in abject poverty in a jobless environment is to have someone come down from their lofty perch and whitesplain about how to lift yourself up by your bootstraps.
2014 March 25, Arit John, “There's No Right Way to White-Splain Rap Music”, The Wire, accessed on 2014-03-26:
- Alexander manages to find a new way to white-splain rap music. While Lorde's song implies that chasing gold teeth and Maybachs reveals the empty materialism of rap music, Alexander argues that that materialism is what makes rap music great — it's the smart stuff he finds boring.
- 2015, Jess Linde, "'Selma': a must-see film of great importance", The Brandeis Hoot (Brandeis University, Waltham, Massachusetts), Volume 12, Number 1, 18 January 2015, page 8:
- What I can promise is a trying lack of whitesplaining “Selma,” a film about a story that a lot of white people these days like to use as an excuse to ignore issues like systematic racism.