Talk:John Lennon glasses

Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Jump to: navigation, search


  • in France , those spectacles were called "lunettes d'intellectuel" many decades before Lennon needed glasses...See Trotski for example, & many others (Gide, Bernanos, etc...etc...) .T.y. Arapaima 09:17, 8 December 2009 (UTC)
    Translations into other languages can be added in Translations tables. They probably had some other name in English as well prior to the 1960s. However, I do not know what that term was, because this term has all but supplanted the previously used one in English. --EncycloPetey 01:33, 10 December 2009 (UTC)

I have never in my life heard of these glasses being called "John Lennon glasses". Quite honestly, this sounds like a definition from Urban Dictionary, not Wiktionary. 03:12, 8 December 2010 (UTC)

& not to speak of Ghandi...Arapaima 08:36, 8 December 2010 (UTC)

All this being said, I guess it is a nice hommage to the man on the 30th anniversary of his tragic death, despite it going against the rules of the WOTD, which state: "Avoid proper nouns — Names of specific people, places, or entities are better suited to featuring in an encyclopedia. Such words rarely have interesting definitions or translations." 13:05, 8 December 2010 (UTC)