Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Jump to: navigation, search

How is this a transitive verb? Webster's says it's v.i.

It is both a transitive and intransitive verb, depending on whether it takes a direct object or not. I suggest you read the definition again. L☺g☺maniac chat? 12:09, 24 October 2009 (UTC)

Thanks, but I know the difference between transitive and intransitive. If you do too, then please give me an example of "accede" used transitively. One can accede to the throne, one does not accede the throne. One can cede the throne, that's a transitive verb. That's why Webster's says it's v.i.

It is just as you said. One can both accede to the throne and accede the throne, as well as sense 3, to accede a group. L☺g☺maniac chat? 12:20, 24 October 2009 (UTC)

I googled "accede the throne", and it does appear to be in common usage, although that's incorrect according to Webster. In any case, how about updating to make it both, at least? The one intransitive usage is marked as obsolete. All usages of this verb can (and should!) be intransitive.