Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Jump to: navigation, search

In building construction, generally timber, are placed horizontally between the vertical studs of timber wall frames to provide lateral stability, to prevent bowing. One possible origin for the name is the fact that these pieces of timber would normally be knocked in to place, possibly referred to as "knock ins"