Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Jump to: navigation, search

poutko (cs) = hanger? tab? hook?[edit]

How do you call the strip at the collar of a coat, jacket etc by which it can be hung upon eg a nail in a wall or into which you hook your finger when you just carry it over your shoulder? My Czech-English dictionary offers the three words mentioned above (and even "eye"), but none of my monolingual dictionaries gives a definition which wouldn't seem to refer to something which belongs to the place where you are hanging it rather than a part of the clothing itself. Duncan MacCall 23:10, 15 October 2008 (UTC)

  • I don't think there is a specific word for this in English. Although canvassing the people around me, most would tend to say tab. Ƿidsiþ 07:37, 16 October 2008 (UTC)
Thanks. I created the page for poutko then and put there "tab" as translation, taking it that even if people don't use that term it might help them to understand the Czech one. Duncan MacCall 10:28, 16 October 2008 (UTC)
Often shirts are manufactured with a small strip, perhaps 2.5 cm, in the center of the back between the shoulderblades. I never knew the purpose of this little strip, but we used to refer to it jokingly as a fruit loop. But seriously, I believe the strip you’re talking about in the collar of coats and jackets is called a hanging loop. —Stephen 09:01, 19 October 2008 (UTC)
Thanks. I googled a bit and obviously you're right (and the word is used with a few other things as well), so I made some additions to WT accordingly. --Duncan MacCall 11:55, 19 October 2008 (UTC)