What is the difference between safety and security ?
- Safety is the state of being safe. It is vaguer than being secure.
- - It is safe to eat fresh fruit (it presents little or no risk).
- - London is a safe place (there isn't too much risk of violence).
- - Your money is safe if it's very well hidden.
- - A bombing went off, but you were safe because you weren't in the area or because you left quickly.
- - A US air base is a secure place (it is surrounded by armed guards).
- - Your money is secure if it's in a bank, kept under lock and key and alarmed.
- - A bombing was planned, but your security was assured by a protective suit or by rapid police work.
Amatlexico 6 Dec 2003 17:08 UTC